Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In everyones opinion, what is a "hunting" acceptable group at 40 yards with broadheads. I've got 4 arrows in a 3 inch group with Slick Trick Magnums. I cant even shoot them at 20-30 without breaking something. Thanks.

Kurt

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
To me 3" groups are acceptable determining your maximum shot for hunting distances with broadheads. IMO if you cannot hold a 3" group at say 40 yards then you have no business shooting at a deer that far.

·
Registered
493 Posts
To me 3" groups are acceptable determining your maximum shot for hunting distances with broadheads. IMO if you cannot hold a 3" group at say 40 yards then you have no business shooting at a deer that far.
EXACTLY.
As a hunter, an effective harvest should be just as important as a filled tag. We owe it to the animals we hunt.

3" groups are what you should be shooting. At whatever distance you can CONSISTANTLY shoot this (not just once in a while), that distance should be your maximum engagement distance.

...there's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If big daddy walks out at 60 and I'm shooting 5 inch groups.
He better duck. I'm sending a meat missle down range.
Just tellin the truth.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Just tellin the truth.
:set1_signs009: I thought we only used the "he better duck" phrase here in Arkansas....lmao

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just tellin the truth.
He will just do that to and you will get a bad hit or a miss

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I would say that if you'll only shoot one BH tipped arrow at the same spot at a time, for fear of ruining an arrow.......then they're probably grouping OK.

If you can fire three or more BH arrows at the same spot and not have to worry about ruining any of your arrows........then you probably have more work to do.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I would say that if you'll only shoot one BH tipped arrow at the same spot at a time, for fear of ruining an arrow.......then they're probably grouping OK.

If you can fire three or more BH arrows at the same spot and not have to worry about ruining any of your arrows........then you probably have more work to do.
Exactly, that's the reason I never shoot more than one broadhead at a single spot. I would not have any arrows left if I were to do that.

If I cannot shoot accurately at a given distance then I will not shoot at an animal at that distance.

It's not always how accurate you are at say 30 or 40 yards but how alert the animal is. I could make a perfect shot and if the animal drops 6" and my shot is high then I am no better off than if I made a bad shot.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I am glad my business is none of your business.

If I can put my arrows in the kill zone of a deer at 40 yards, I am gonna shoot a deer at 40 yards if the shot I want is there. You sure don't need to be holding 3 inch groups at 40 yards for that to be the case.

I would like to see you guys saying this actually shoot 3 inch groups at 40, and do it every time. If you can do it, you shoot exponentially better than I can.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I am glad my business is none of your business.

If I can put my arrows in the kill zone of a deer at 40 yards, I am gonna shoot a deer at 40 yards if the shot I want is there. You sure don't need to be holding 3 inch groups at 40 yards for that to be the case.

I would like to see you guys saying this actually shoot 3 inch groups at 40, and do it every time. If you can do it, you shoot exponentially better than I can.
It's your business so handle it however you see fit. Although every year I see many who use those same rules hit animals badly that they never recover & place blame on everything except where is belongs. On the shooter.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
CGkurt, just don't "play " with them again and you wont' cut yourself:police:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Getting 2'' from my slick tricks out to 45 but more then likely wont use it even if it presents a chance. Unless its really big.

What is considered the "kill zone" a 6 or 8 inch circle. What ever it is you should be shooting half that and then take off a few yards for your heart pounding and nerves. If you are perfectly calm and no nerves at the moment of a shot you better check yourself to make sure your alive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
personally i wont shoot at an animal at ANYTHING past 30 yards. i have a 45 yard pin and have no problem practicing at that. BUT this is an animal that will react to an arrow comming their way. I have personally had bad shots at 15 yards due to the deer moving. i like to keep my shots less than 20. i can shoot a grapefruit at 45 yards with my ST mags, kill a deer that far probably, but i dont want to be chasing a wounded on either.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I practice with nothing but broadheads for the last 2 months leading up to our opener (whick is Thursday) !!! Anyway.......I shoot BH's out to 60 yds on my range at home but limit my shots at animals to 50 yds. Yes, I said 50. I shoot 3 shot groups and can keep them in a 4" circle at 50 and thats good enough for me. Now, with that being said....I will only shoot at an animal at 50yds if the conditions are excellent ie... no wind, flat ground, broad side and a calm animal. Other than that, most of the time I limit myself to 40 yds.
Thats just me and your milage may vary................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts