Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now I'm probably going to get hammered for this but I figured this would get some people's attention. I tried it the right way and didn't get any help. I found it kind of ironic that this board is supposed to be archer's helping archer's but post's with title's like this get more hits than when people ask for advise, anyway here's my question.

Quick question for everyone out there. I went and bought some Carbon Express Maxima's today (250).my set up is a 28"-29" draw and I'm pulling 58lbs. My arrows from the end of the nock to the tip of my broad heads are 29 1/4" long. I bought the 250's and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what a good broad head and field point weight to shoot would be. Not sure if I should go with 85,100 or 125 grain montecs, I already have 85 and 125 grain heads so before i bought 100 grain heads I wanted to see what everyone thought. O yea I fletched them up with a wrap and 2" blazers. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
834 Posts
hobbs4421 said:
Now we can call it archers tricking archers :-/

It's true though!! I have to agree with the original post!! I find it difficult to sit at my computer all day and make posts about stuff..so when I do get a chance to ask my questions about equipment and other pertinent questions either my posts quickly gets moved to second page or I get the old "do a search"...makes it discouraging to come on here and find out opinions and "how to" especially being a new archer.

I feel your pain....

Now on the flip...I have found numerous people on this site that is very informative and willing to help....you just gotta take the negative with the positive

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In my opinion you should look for any wt broadhead that will put your "total arrow" weight between 400-425grains. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND OTHER PEOPLE WILL DISAGREE. I just feel that that weight gives you a good overall flight and Killing performance.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
PSEExcursion1 said:
I now I'm probably going to get hammered for this but I figured this would get some people's attention.

:ban:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Post this in the tunning section. Nuts and Bolts And others can run On target 2 for you. Someone their will get you the proper field point and broadhead weight for your setup. Its more about what tip weight, will give your arrow the correct spine. The total weight is not as importaint. As long as you are >than 5grains/pound. mike
ps If I had access to On target 2 I would have run the program for you, But I have not purchased the program yet.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I'd try the ones you have before buying anything else, you may not need to spend the $$. I would lean towards the 125's.:thumbs_up

·
Vendor
35,749 Posts
Be nice and other's will be nice back. If your post does not get answered the first time, just repost it. No need for trickery.

With your set-up, all of these should fly OK. If you want a little more speed go with the 85's. If you want a little more knockdown, go with the 125's. A general rule of thumb with broadheads is to get your FOC atleast 12% and you will be shy of that with 85's. With 100 grain heads you will be right around 12%. If you don't think they are flying straight, I'd try the 125's before the 85's.

Good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
first find out what your draw is instead of guessing,then make sure you have the correct arrow lenght.....then go to carbon express's website and look at their arrow charts to make sure your spine is right...after all this,then take your broadheads and see which one gives you the best FOC.your going to be a little on the stiff side probally with those 250's,so the 100's or maybe 125's will be better....youll just have to shoot them and see which is the best for you.......also if you havent have your bow paper tuned for best results.

maxx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts