Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I normally don't post much, but read this thread constantly. Today, I need help. Here is my situation. I have a Martin Tracer Magnum which I love. I just got back into archery this year. Saturday, I had to re-adjust a few things on my bow due to a clearence problem with my Muzzy broadheads. I had to raise the rest and knock point just a tad. Now it's shooting straight again. I paper tested with a bare shaft at 10 feet and shot a bullet hole. Put on a target arrow, 10 feet, 25 feet, and 20 yards I paper tested, bullet holes. Three even vane cuts, according to my manual, perfect holes. Here is my problem. I sighted in for broadheads, and it's dead on, which is good, hunting season starts here in 6 days. But my field points are low and right by about 6 inches. Still grouping tight, but just low and right. Now, should I leave well enough alone until after hunting season and only practice with my Muzzy practice blades? Or, do I need to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If your broadheads arent shooting with your field points try a different arrow. That is what I did my broadheads were shooting to the left from my field points with vapor 4000 arrows so I switched to easton st epics 400 and now they both shoot in the same groups. Oh and are they spinning tue are you just screwing them in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, now that you mention it, I just screwed them in. I have some little rubber seals that I have been told you can use to tune them with, to make the blades even with the vanes. Right now more arrows are not really an option. I have spent a lot of money this year getting started from scratch, so the archery/hunting budget is pretty well spent for the moment. That's why I was wondering if I should just leave it as is, or if there is another fix?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I like mine to hit with my field tips...that way I can shoot field tips in the yard for practice all season and not adjust my sights for broadheads when I go hunt. Making the blades even with the vanes doesn't do much...Mine are not even and my broadheads hits exactly the same as field tips. I didn't paper tune my bow, only bare shaft tuned to the best of my ability and they hit the same.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Shoot Em'

If the Muzzy's are flying straight and grouping well, don't change a thing. Broadheads by design are totally different than field tips, they are longer which changes FOC slightly. The blades in front are trying to drive the shaft. So if they group different let it be. Excellent arrow flight and and accuracy is of most importance. I like my blades turned slightly from my vanes, so that the vanes are flying through the path the blade has cut through the air. They seem to be quieter and group better. As far as alignment, you gotta spend $30 for an A.S.D (arrow squaring device) by G5. Use it to square shaft and insert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts