Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll start out by saying I prefer fixed blade heads, Muzzy100's to be exact, but I don't have anywhere to broadhead tune (local shops and ranges don't allow broadheads, and the landowner of the farm I hunt won't let me practice there...not sure why). My bow is well tuned, so I'm confident I could achieve good flight fairly easily.

So that pretty much narrows me down to mechanicals. My top heads are Spitfires, Reapers, and Steelheads. I've shot Spitfires and I liked them, but they make me nervous on quartering shots because the blades are so far forward when closed. Same with Steelheads, but I've heard great things about them. Reapers are the other choice. Like the design and the reviews, but I just can't decide!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Thats wierd that you have absolutely NO place to shoot a b-head ?!?

However, I can asssure you that the Steelhead will shoot exactly with fieldpoints and probably penetrate better than any b-head you mentioned.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
Reapers will hit with fp's and so will Spitfires. I havent shot any others but those are the only heads I shoot.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats wierd that you have absolutely NO place to shoot a b-head ?!?
Trust me, Im just as surprised as you that I have no where to shoot one! When I was getting ready for this past turkey season, I shot in my garage at 7 yards which really doesnt tell you much, then I waited for my wife and kid to leave the house for a little while, brought the target inside, and shot from the kitchen, through the living room, across the hallway, into the bathroom. That got me right about 17 yards! Wife would kill me if she knew I did that, but I got a bird this spring, so it was worth it! Those were the Spitfire Gobbler-Getters, and they flew perfect.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up with the Grim Reaper Razor Cuts. Really like the design, and they look absolutely BRUTAL!!! Hopefully I can put a hole in a nice buck with them in just a few weeks!

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
congrats. did you get the ss version?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do you not have a backyard? I can shoot thirty yards in my backyard and also shoot 40 in the front.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ BOHO, yes, I did get the Razorcut SS. So far after a few practice shots, I couldnt be happier with these heads. They tore the hell out of my Block in just a few shots!

@spcfoor, I do have a front and a fenced back yard, but our house sits on the top of a hill, and the top of the back fence is actually below ground level, so were pretty much on a pedestal for everyone to see. All the neighbors have kids or dogs, and theyve threatened to call the cops on me for shooting in my yard before. I usually try to wait until after dark, then pull my truck and my wifes SUV to the end of the driveway, stand between them, and shoot 20-25 yards into my garage, but its tough to get anything out of it because #1, its dark and I cant really see what Im doing, just a black pin silhouetted against a target, and #2, the neighbors across the street have threatened to call the cops on me too.

Im really surprised no one has yet though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts