Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't name this thread Slick Tricks for a reason. ;) Is it just me, or are these loud? I mean when I shoot them they are noticeably louder than my Muzzys, they are built great and very sharp though. I am not nocking them by any means, would love to use them this year if I could figure out how to keep the noise level down. Any suggestions? With field points, my arrows fly super quiet, these however make a very noticeable wind noise in flight....maybe I am just trying too hard to be too quiet. :confused:

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on BH noise. You probably dont remember the video I did when I was shooting Snuffers. I was thinking GAWD are they ever so noisey! But so many hunters were successful so they have to be good. Well...to build more confidence in them, I took my video camera and put my McKenzie out at 30 yards and stuck the video camera right under it's chin. It has excellent audio capapbilities! I shot and shot and by the time the arrow hit the target you could hear my bow, no hissing noise at all! I felt much better after that!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yep, Ive noticed it, it makes kind of a noise like a buzz bait. Thats not going to stop me from using it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Feel better now?

Hey Fasst feel better now or do you want to trade those remaining ST for my 4 blade Muzzys :D

·
7,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feel a little better

But if things don't turn around soon, I will trade my Mathews for a Ruger M77 in .308 :wink:

Nah, I wouldn't do that, when things are going well, she has been dead nuts lately. Just have a little tuning to do and need to replace the strings and cables.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just shoot them with feathers, then you wont hear the hiss of the broadhead over the hiss of the feathers!

·
registered
1,028 Posts
A few weeks back a friend and I tried a small experiment which I intend to expand on. There was a dirt mound between our shooting position and the target. I got down behind the mound and he shot and then we switched spots. We were shooting FIELD POINTS; I was using Marco vanes and he was using a different brand. Each of us heard a buzz sort of like a fast flying bumble bee as the arrow passed over us at about 8 yards from the shooter. In the near future we are going to try some other vanes we have fletched up. The point is that we heard a buzz from field points and it may always be there with any shot, but we want to check it out some more.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
cubdriver said:
A few weeks back a friend and I tried a small experiment which I intend to expand on. There was a dirt mound between our shooting position and the target. I got down behind the mound and he shot and then we switched spots. We were shooting FIELD POINTS; I was using Marco vanes and he was using a different brand. Each of us heard a buzz sort of like a fast flying bumble bee as the arrow passed over us at about 8 yards from the shooter. In the near future we are going to try some other vanes we have fletched up. The point is that we heard a buzz from field points and it may always be there with any shot, but we want to check it out some more.
With my previous experiments, I found you'll hear noise from all angles except if you're on the receiving end. :D

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
cubdriver said:

Mound or no mound. You have bigger ones than I got. :mg:

·
registered
1,028 Posts
To clarify: the 'mound' was a gravel pile about 12 feet high and the person shooting was on the other side of it and therefore we were about 12 feet below the sight line in a hole. It was a safe situation.. Incidently when we were separated about 50 yards off to the side, we only heard arrows hitting the target and no other sound from the arrow.

·
When's bow season start?
8,927 Posts
Jerry/NJ said:
With my previous experiments, I found you'll hear noise from all angles except if you're on the receiving end. :D
My friend Steve and I have done a lot of experimentation on bow and/or arrow noise, and our conclusion is the same as the above statement. Some arrows, whether fletched with vanes or feathers, or tipped with field points, replaceable-blade, fixed-blade or mechanical broadheads are noisy from the shooter's perspective, and quite noisy to the side of the arrow in flight, but are about 100% silent in the direction the arrow is flying. You can almost always hear the thunk! of the bow, but the arrows are dead quiet.

They can be quite loud when standing off to the side, from a barely audible buzz to a loud, tearing-paper sound, but straight-on they are silent. I think it may have something to do with the Doppler Effect, but as I'm no physicist, I can't say for sure. But I will say, spend your time quieting your bow and don't worry too much about your broadheads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts