Archery Talk Forum banner

broadhead opinions please

739 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  OI_prostaffer
I need ya'lls opinion. Background 28DL, 66#, gold tip 5575, 360 total arrow weight at 293 fps. I am not positive about the arrow length but probably around 28 inches. I am going elk hunting and I am torn between the slick trick standard or a Magnus 2 or 4 blade. My arrow is pretty light so that is why I am contemplating a coc. Please help.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
25,353 Posts
pretty light set up. think a 2 blade would be a good choice here

· Registered
5,341 Posts
With your set-up I think I would use a COT broadhead and the best one would be, IMO, Slick Trick's RazorTrick.

· Shaaaaazam!!
7,720 Posts
A light set up???:confused: Thats funny...OP either head should work fine for ya...Shoot which one you have confidence in..An place your shot well..The OP's set up has more KE an down range Momentum then my 62lb Z28 at 28in shooting 375grains..An i use Slick trick Mags...Guess im "TO LIGHT"

· Registered
13,543 Posts
You would do very well with the Slick Trick Standard. They were created for large body game like Elk...and you have plenty of KE to drive it deep. Keep the blades sharp, aim small and you will not regret that broadhead choice.

· Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm going for Elk this fall also and somebody with a lot of experience suggested the Muzzy Phantom 4 blade. It looks very wicked and is a COC but I have not tried it. Anybody had experience or thoughts on that one???

· 120 CARP
1,521 Posts
i carry 2 different broadheads in my quiver. a slick trick (4 blade) and a striker (3 blade). i use 2 different broadheads to mix it up a little with luck. i would put both in if they shoot the same. either of the 2 you picked are good choices for your setup. one might be your lucky broadhead!!

· Registered
5,341 Posts
OOPS! Post number three COT should have been COC:embara:

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Stay away from the phantom especially at the speed your shooting, you will have a very hard time getting them to fly straight. Altho the muzzys are a great broadhead, I would highly recommend the Wac'em broadheads, they fly great with no adjusting from your field points and are the sharpest best penetrating fixed blade on the market...IMHO

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Anything by G5. That's all I use. They are sharp and tough. I killed a number of deer each year with one broadhead!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.