Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas,

i'm shooting some new slick tricks and am having some trouble getting them to fly well. There is a lot of wobble in my arrow when I change from field tip to broad head. let me give you my setup first.

Tribute 30" DL w/string loop
67# draw weight
TR drop zone
Beman Black Max 300's cut @ 28 1/4" w/blazer veins
Slick Trick 125 4 blade

This bow has been paper tuned with field tips and shoots very well. At 20 yards I am getting good 2" groups. However, once I put the broadheads on I get a definite wobble and my groups are 4" low and left (grouping well though). I'm wondering if its not my grip (could be torking) or some other type of user error. I love these slick tricks but I may have to go to a mechanical if i cant get this figured out (will probably test them anyways). Any help would be greatly appreciated fellas.

thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hutchies said:
Did you spin test the broadheads?

no, how do you do that? I'm probably gonna need to go to a pro shop for that right?

·
Registered
739 Posts
first fix the low problem. move your rest down (1/16" at a time) until the broadheads hit level your field points. Shoot a group of three broadheads and a group of three field points.

Next fix the left problem. move you rest to the right until broadheads hit with field points. Now the broadheads and field points should hit together. Now adjust your sights so that the groups are exactly were your aiming.

Its important that you shoot field points at the same time b/c your not trying to get the broadheads to hit bullseye's your trying to get them to group in the same place as your field points. if your broadheads and field points are groupong together but low and left then just adjust your sights so they groupo right on the money. Good luck.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Paper-tuning only gets you close. If your broadheads aren't hitting with your fp's then you are not really tuned. You will need to move your rest to the right slightly and either lower your string loop or raise your rest slightly (move broadhead group toward fieldpoint group). Make one of these adjustments at a time until your bh's catch up with your fp's. They will both most likely move but the bh's should move more and will end up hitting the same place as fp's eventually. Resight in and you're good to go!

Good luck ... Crayfish

·
Registered
522 Posts
To fix the low problem you don't move your rest down, you move your nock point down. Your problem is most like due to some minor tuning issues. Shoot some paper at 5 yards and then 10 yards and see what the tears look like. I would guess your going to see a slightly nock high and right tear. Fix this and the broadheads will come around. Other than the rest down comment Viper04 was right on with his suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was having the same problem with my bow. I could'nt get any fixed blade broadhead to fly like my fieldpoints no matter how many changes I made to my nock and rest. Finnally I changed my arrows to a stiffer spine and all my problems went away. I was shooting CXL2 250's 370 grains at 308fps. I Switched to Carbon Express terminator selects 6075's at 470 grains and now I'm shooting 280fps.

But now it doesent matter what type of broadheads I shoot they hit exactly with my fieldtips. Ive shot monotecs, muzzys, sonics, and thunderheads. they all hit the same.

I am a speed freak and wanted as fast a arrow as I could get. But after seeing the performance of this heaver setup I couldnt be happier. I didnt have to change any pins until I got out past 50 yards I had to drop my 50 and 60 yard pin slighty to account for the extra weight.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chasin said:
I was having the same problem with my bow. I could'nt get any fixed blade broadhead to fly like my fieldpoints no matter how many changes I made to my nock and rest. Finnally I changed my arrows to a stiffer spine and all my problems went away. I was shooting CXL2 250's 370 grains at 308fps. I Switched to Carbon Express terminator selects 6075's at 470 grains and now I'm shooting 280fps.

But now it doesent matter what type of broadheads I shoot they hit exactly with my fieldtips. Ive shot monotecs, muzzys, sonics, and thunderheads. they all hit the same.

I am a speed freak and wanted as fast a arrow as I could get. But after seeing the performance of this heaver setup I couldnt be happier. I didnt have to change any pins until I got out past 50 yards I had to drop my 50 and 60 yard pin slighty to account for the extra weight.

I wish that was the case for me however i'm thinkin that i may be shooting to stiff of an arrow right now. My Black Max 300's are at 11.7 gpi. I may need less spine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts