Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting [email protected] from a Bear Grizzly. My draw is right around 28-29 have not been measured with the bow drawn yet. My 3555 GT Exp. Hunters are full length, so 30.5" from nok throat to insert. Finished arrow weight is 381g with 125g field tip. I have ordered GT's weight system and nok adapters and will soon have the ability to add weight to both the front and back of the arrow with the goal of a finished arrow weight around 460g, a little over 10g per pound. So here is my question:

Should I buy 100g broadhead or 125g. My gut tells me 100g as they will give me more tuning flexibility with adjusting FOC, spine, etc...with the weights. I have a dozen each of 50g, 20g, and 10g weights so I should be able make pretty fine adjustments come tuning time. Am I on the right track here? Also, I am looking at Magnus Stinger both 2 and 4 blade as well as the Buzzcut. Any suggestions on which one and why?

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
So here is my question:

Should I buy 100g broadhead or 125g. My gut tells me 100g as they will give me more tuning flexibility with adjusting FOC, spine, etc...with the weights. I have a dozen each of 50g, 20g, and 10g weights so I should be able make pretty fine adjustments come tuning time. Am I on the right track here? Also, I am looking at Magnus Stinger both 2 and 4 blade as well as the Buzzcut. Any suggestions on which one and why?
125! Shoot the same weight broadhead as your field tips!

Higher FOC does increase an arrow's penetrating potential....even if it's by a small margin.

Both Magnus heads are awesome.

If you want more penetration...stick with the 2 blade.

If you want to potentially increase your blood trail...get the 4 blades.

I personally like the design of the Buzzcuts better.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
125! Shoot the same weight broadhead as your field tips!

Higher FOC does increase an arrow's penetrating potential....even if it's by a small margin.

Both Magnus heads are awesome.

If you want more penetration...stick with the 2 blade.

If you want to potentially increase your blood trail...get the 4 blades.

I personally like the design of the Buzzcuts better.

Ray ;)
With the 125g I will still be adding 50 to 80 grains of additional weight up front and 30g-50g in at the nok to get to the total arrow weight I want. Do you think its better to go with 125g head with 50g of weight or 100g head with 75g of weight, or it it pretty much a wash?

All I have seen are 4 blade in the Buzzcut, is there a pure 2 blade in Buzzcut?

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Do you think its better to go with 125g head with 50g of weight or 100g head with 75g of weight, or it it pretty much a wash?
It won't make a huge difference for the average archer...but if you're anal about arrow flight as I am...you may definitely see a difference when you bareshaft tune.

As I said in a different thread of yours I believe...when you screw on weight to the back of the insert, it's like you are shortening the arrow because you are filling in the void behind the insert.

The key is tuning your arrows with field points that weight the same as your broadheads.

As you tune your arrows...you want them to be exactly like each other.

If you have 125g. field tips, 50g. behind the tip insert and 50g. and the nock end, you'll want the exact same set-up with your 125g. broadhead tipped arrows.

All I have seen are 4 blade in the Buzzcut, is there a pure 2 blade in Buzzcut?
I believe the 4 blade Buzzcuts or any of the Magnus 4 blades have removable bleeder blades.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It won't make a huge difference for the average archer...but if you're anal about arrow flight as I am...you may definitely see a difference when you bareshaft tune.

As I said in a different thread of yours I believe...when you screw on weight to the back of the insert, it's like you are shortening the arrow because you are filling in the void behind the insert.

The key is tuning your arrows with field points that weight the same as your broadheads.

As you tune your arrows...you want them to be exactly like each other.

If you have 125g. field tips, 50g. behind the tip insert and 50g. and the nock end, you'll want the exact same set-up with your 125g. broadhead tipped arrows.

I believe the 4 blade Buzzcuts or any of the Magnus 4 blades have removable bleeder blades.
Ray ;)
Thanks for all of the info, the 125g field points seem to be flying pretty good so I think I will go with the 125g broadheads.

Ahh, so you can shoot them without the bleeder blades, nice. Are they 125g with the bleeders or without them?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the info, the 125g field points seem to be flying pretty good so I think I will go with the 125g broadheads.

Ahh, so you can shoot them without the bleeder blades, nice. Are they 125g with the bleeders or without them?
Nevermind, I found the Buzzcut 2 blade for sale.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, I read that thread before these post, they did help a little with the decision:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts