Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this cool 2017 review of a bunch of broadheads:
https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/201...ign=bowhunting-coms-2017-broadhead-evaluation

The Wac-Em Fixed Blade BH (4 blades) seemed to have great penetration (although they dont show it on the video????????), but its cutting diameter is below average vs the rest of the BHs in the test.

Would it make sense to determine what blade will be optimal using a ratio of penetration to cutting diameter? Or is penetration king no matter what (i.e. punching two holes is better than one vs one hole thats wider).

Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have little first hand experience with multiple broadheads but from doing my fair share of reading and using common sense it is completely dependant upon the KE your arrow is carrying. Big cutting diameter will clearly work better with high poundage setups while small diameter works better with lighter setups. Just be honest about your setup and do your research, I've recently great success with larger diameter mechanicals but I'm carrying 92 ft/lbs with my current setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edit: Assuming your arrow is flying true with proper FOC, KE is the biggest factor to take into consideration ***

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im probably going to go with a Cabelas Fortitude or Blackout S3. KE I think is around ~62 (330fps, 450 grain arrow, 27.5" DL, 60lbs)

Here are the penetration results:

Fire-N-The-Hole, 6-1/2″
Truglo Titanium X Mechanical, 7-3/4″
NAP Spitfire DoubleCross, 8-3/16″
Wac’Em Steel Expandable, 8-7/16″
Simmons Mako 100, 8-9/16″
Grim Reaper Hybrid, 8-11/16″
Flying Arrow Toxic, 8-3/4″
Rocky Mountain Warhead, 8-13/16″
Muzzy Trocar HBX, 8-7/8″
Wasp Jak-Knife, 9-3/16″
Dead Ringer Super Freak, 9-3/8″
Rage Trypan, 9-3/8″
Shwacker, 9-7/16″
Truglo Titanium Fixed-Blade, 9-1/2″
Magnus Stinger Buzzcut, 9-7/8″
Trophy Taker A-Tac, 10-1/8″
Wasp Drone, 10-1/4″
Muzzy Trocar, 10-3/8″
Slick Trick Standard, 10-3/8″
Dirtnap Gear BMF, 10-5/8″
Ramcat Original, 10-7/8“
NAP Thunderhead Nitro, 10-15/16″
Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock, 11-1/16″
Ramcat Diamondback, 11-13/16″
Wac-Em Fixed Blade, 12-1/4″

·
Registered
187 Posts
My selection after much research has been shuttle t's for fixed and nap killzones for mechs. I just can find anything wrong with them except for shuttle t's difficulty to sharpen.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah at quick glance, if these results are accurate, then the Wac-Em Fixed Blade gives 12.25" penetration with 1" diameter cutting (12.25 inches of penetration for each 1 inch of cutting diameter)

The Ramcat Original gives 10-7/8“ with 1-3/8" cutting diameter (7.9 inches of penetration for each 1 inch of cutting diameter)

Wac-Em still seems superior if you factor in both variables. Interesting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah at quick glance, if these results are accurate, then the Wac-Em Fixed Blade gives 12.25" penetration with 1" diameter cutting (12.25 inches of penetration for each 1 inch of cutting diameter)

The Ramcat Original gives 10-7/8? with 1-3/8" cutting diameter (7.9 inches of penetration for each 1 inch of cutting diameter)

Agreed, but like mentioned above they might get destroyed on contact with bone. Penetration is definitely influenced by thickness of the blade, i.e. a standard razor might be far sharper and penetrate best but in the end is flimsy and will shatter. Just another factor to take in if it's not already overwhelming lol.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The Ramcat Original gives 10-7/8“ with 1-3/8" cutting diameter (7.9 inches of penetration for each 1 inch of cutting diameter)

Wait my math may be messed up.

I'm getting 37.5% more cutting diameter using the Ramcat right, but only giving up 11.2% penetration. Seems like a better option right?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Penetration,blade sharpness and durability will trump cutting diameter every time.Way too much emphasis is erroneously placed on BH diameter.

·
and Ruby
155 Posts
Two holes better than one

My single blade passed through the humerus ball on buck last year, like to see a mechanical do that

·
Registered
475 Posts
Look at what Trad shooters use as boradheads. Single strings do not have KE to waste on gimics. In depth studies have been performed around this. Penetration is king

Its amazing to me that guys will buy a new bow to gain 7 fps but they will pick a Broadhead that has poor mechanical advantage.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
Mmmmm, this vid shows the Wac-Em getting totally destroyed at 4:30 :(

He stuffed it into a bone joint of a cow at 12 yards. It hit so hard the carbon arrow snapped off on a forward impact......and all that happened was a blade bent. You call that "totally destroyed"......?

That's impressive if you consider the facts.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
Look at what Trad shooters use as boradheads. Single strings do not have KE to waste on gimics. In depth studies have been performed around this. Penetration is king

Its amazing to me that guys will buy a new bow to gain 7 fps but they will pick a Broadhead that has poor mechanical advantage.
Well said you see that a lot. People worry about speed, shoot super light arrows, won't buy a "slow" bow with a -330 IBO rating but never question the broad design. It can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Two holes better than one

My single blade passed through the humerus ball on buck last year, like to see a mechanical do that
I had a Rage Xtreme (non chisel tip) pass through both shoulders on pass through shot. Of course, I am shooting 90 ft-lb KE. It isn't for everyone. I was able to resharpen the blades and they are ready to go again.

I also put a Slick Trick Magnum through the back hip of a 250lb hog and logged it into the other hip. He made it 20 yards and bled out within 5 yards of the blind. I was able to get the broadhead out and only needs to be sharpened.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'll go for a deep 1 1/8" hole over a less deep 2" hole every day. Yes I see some guys get a pass through on a mechanical. My hunting partner shoots Rage and I have seen several less than stellar penetration cases where I believe a good
fixed head would have worked better.
I'm after Alaska moose in five weeks. I'll. Be shooting a 1 1/8" Iron Will

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,176 Posts
Penetration,blade sharpness and durability will trump cutting diameter every time.Way too much emphasis is erroneously placed on BH diameter.
^ Agreed.....and hundreds of years of "What works" in bowhunting backs that up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts