Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my first 2 deer this year with swhacker 100 grains out of a bowtech carbon knight at 27dl and 58 lbs. Arrow weight was 397.
I got a pass through on a smaller deer but a larger buck was barely a out side through. He ran 100 yards and piled up with my arrow.

I am hoping I can get fixed blades to tune well out of my second bow.
This bow is a 2014 experience at 57lbs and 27DL. Finished arrow weight will be 408 grs.
So I am wondering what a good head will be? I have some muzzy mx3's and more swhackers and NAP Killzones all 100gr heads. I dont care if I am fixed or mechanical but is my setup pushing the limits of shooting mechanical head's at such low poundage? Most of my shots will be 20-30 yards and maybe as far out as 40 yards.
The swhackers did the job, but I had almost no blood trails and for that buck to run 100 yards was less than ideal for me..
I am not into brand wars..I want a good consistent flight and POI and dependability and good trails. So I am open to suggestions in guys that shoot near my KE levels on whaf tunes well and kills dependably for whitetails.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'd stay fixed bc of the short draw and poundage, I'll give you what everyone else is gonna say haha
Exodus, Slick Trick, Wasp drone Flys very well, buzzcuts, shuttle t...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the DL is killing me. I can go up in poundage but I tend to do a lot of shooting and 60-62 pounds really starts to wear me down. Unfortunately my arms are short and fat. People tell me l look like a midget T-REX. What about the Rage Low Ke mechanicals? I have been reading slick tricks on a lot on here get a ton of good reviews and a few local joints have those in stock. Is there a certain model of the slick tricks that work best?

·
Registered
24,955 Posts
I shoot at 60# bowtech insanity and have a 26.5dl. My arrows are around 430gr and I used a grave digger chisel tip this season. Blew right through my buck at 30 yds

for fixed I like exodus, will probably end up trying them on a deer next season, wanted to give the diggers a go first :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'm sticking with Stinger 4 blades and trying the Buzzcut version next. Those things really penetrate well from my setup....Hoyt Carbon Element at 62# and 28.5" DL. Total arrow weight is a hair below 400 gr. and 286 fps.

G

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
good thread, almost my specs, 27 at around 60-62lbs with a nocam, looking for setup options for whitetails. I am leaning at the moment of beman bowhunters .400 spine, blazers and exodus heads. I would like penetration and some speed but i know those dont come hand in hand. If i go fmj my speed would drop quite a bit but i would get the penetration i am looking for, decisions, decisions. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Strickland Helix single bevel in 125. Thank me later. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Slick Trick and Exodus if you want a 4-blade or a 3-blade.
Strickland Helix is a great choice if you want a single bevel 2-blade and I would even consider to use their 150 grain version if I was you.
Stay away from mechs with your setup.

·
Registered
906 Posts
with that I would say anything from slick trick

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
I have a 26" draw and generally shoot about 60-62 lbs on my hunting bows which are generally "fast" bows.

I can about guarantee the following are very good heads:
Wasp Boss, QAD Exodus, Muzzy MX-3, VPA, HellRazor and G5 Striker.

There are many more that are very similar to the above (Wac'em for example). There's no reason to use a head that may be weaker than the above! The blades on some heads are thin and weak (RamCats). I don't use mechanicals myself and if I did it DEFINITELY would not be a Swhacker! I believe we should use a head that about guarantees we don't have to be concerned that it will be damaged enough on entry that it might not cut real well and also have reduced penetration. There really is no reason to take such a chance.

If a head even seems it might have a weakness do NOT buy it! There is really no reason to take chances.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The setup sounds good depends how much accuracy you want. I make my own arrows and have shot every fletch broadhead combo out there. I would stay away from the magnum broadheads because of the steeper blade angle less contact with bone and tissue on the pass threw. Slick trick standard wacem triton and any hellraiser vpa g5 montec. My current setup is a vpa terminator vented with aae max hunter 6 degree helical. Max hunter is the highest vane out there but steers the vpa out to 60 yards no problem. The most accurate head out there tho is the wacem triton its just over an inch and is Sharpe as can be...great for penetration.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
My wife is a 27'' draw and 52lbs draw weight and had great luck with complete passthrus with montec (not good blood trails) Slick trick razor tricks, and qad exodus..

but for larger game she will be shooting GK and Helix two blades.

I only shoot 50lbs bows at deer but have a 31'' draw but I shot a 200lbs plus buck this year and a 180lbs buck with a 426 grain arrow killed one with a Qad exodus and buried in the ground and killed the larger buck with a NAP killzone deep six coc tip with pass thru buried in the ground.(but glad I didn't hit him in the shoulder with the killzone)

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
All really good advice. I only have a 26.5" dl, but I do pull a bit more weight. I use the Exodus and love it, but I think any well built, super sharp three blade would be good for you--Wasp Boss, Wac'em, Muzzy MX3, etc.

·
Yeah I'd shot that one...
1,759 Posts
I truly am impressed with Slick Tricks. They cut and they kill. I am pretty sure most brands are very sharp and will cut very nicely. The thing I like about Slick tricks
(I use a 28DL 68# Creed Beman MFX micro diameter arrows 402 gr with the slickies on them) they hit with in a very small fraction of an inch from my field points.
I have used a few other brands with good results but I prefer the Slick Tricks. I would certainly give them a try.

CG

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
If you want a mechanical still look no further than the rocket steelhead and the ulmer edge, smaller cut than the ones you have and penetration is excellent!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all the help.
I picked up my new experience last night. I am already stacking arrows well out to 30. I tested a MX3 and a swhacker and a standard NAP killzone. The muzzys seem to hit just as my field points and the other 2 are close. My bow tech tells me that I should be fine shooting mechanicals with the experience at 27dl 57lbs and a 412 grain arrow. But I am still apprehensive somewhat. I am getting tired of buying expensive broadheads and I think I am going to get some standard Slick tricks and have a shootout for accuracy between the MX3s and those and just run what shoots best. All advice and common sense tells me to get away from mechanicals and the STs and MX3'S apparently both have a cult following that helps make the decision along with all the info from you guys. Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts