Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Christmas gift Glen-Del buck didn't hardly last one season once I went to broadhead tuning! Cheap block targets dont't seem to be holding up any better. My daughter & I try to shoot 2-3 times a week starting in late summer to prep for hunting, but it's getting to where I can't afford to shoot much (especially once the broadheads come out :confused:). Any advice/recommendations for a poor preacher that needs to get some practice in, but can't afford high priced targets?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Get a blob target. Economical and last. That's all I shoot broadheads at.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just find a block of styrofoam like used in boat storage.. any 18" inch thick styro will stop it for a little bitt.. enough to check your sites. It won't last long though. i like the sand idea, probably a good loam would be ok as well as long as it's dry and crumbly. Hell fill a box with dirt.. that's free. I like the targets I bought though.. save a lot of time and weight..

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I tune my bh and shoot once a week with them after that maybe 2 arrows. I keep one bh target for 10 years.
I shot one target 6 months before I did that with bh and fp, they just don't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
the best broad head target i ever used was a pile of sand
This is what we do at the club range. The guys throw whatever they can think of into the pit to hold a target, but the sand does the work. I personally throw a box with paint spots into the pit and shoot it.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Sand works great. I can buy dirt for .99, 40#s bags.. $5 worth should work for ya. I'm fortunate to have a dirt bank.

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
I also use a block, when it gets so bad as to shoot through I go to Walmart and get the kids solid foam target,$ 19.00, and tape it on the front of the block.

·
Registered
846 Posts
We carry a 10x10x5 piece of styrofoam with us when we practice from our stands. The arrows go through about 5-6", sometimes a little more. Instead of pulling them back out, we unscrew the broadhead, then pull the arrow out. I don't remember where we picked up that piece of foam, it might have been boat insulation, but those arrows are tough to get out. Anyway, it takes a little extra time to unscrew and then put the heads back on, but it beats hauling a big block around with us.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
After season Walmart has targets on clearance. I picked up bag targets for $8 a piece this year. I leave a couple outside all year and have one for my basement range. They last a year, and then I just repeat. For that price I can afford to shoot broad heads at them, and save my 3ds and blocks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I use compressed hay bails for taget points and a sand pit for broadheads. The bails are just starting to where the target points go in about half way or so and thats about 5 years old. Sand is cheap. I made a 3 walled box and filled it with sand. Weeds are easy to pull out and you can cover it when the rains come and you'll loose nothing. I usually have a 5 gallon bucket of water there when shooting broadheads to swirl them in to clean then after the shot.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Get one of those big hessian type carry bags - or better yet - if you can - one of the bags they deliver sand in to small building projects. Stuff full of rags or plastic and instant arrow stop. Wont last long - but cheap and effective.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Tractor supply company have large white foam blocks that separate utility trailers in transport. I have asked for a few and they were happy to get rid of them. I'm guessing they are 18" x 14" x 14". they don't last forever but I just use them for limited broadhead tuning and the price is right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Get one of those big hessian type carry bags - or better yet - if you can - one of the bags they deliver sand in to small building projects. Stuff full of rags or plastic and instant arrow stop. Wont last long - but cheap and effective.
Fancy seeing you here!! Broadheads just bounce off this? Just thinking you'll have a hard time getting broadheads out of this if they stick in

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use two old targets that I fill the shot up part with expandable foam and put one in front of the other

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts