Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the things I've seen you guys come up with are just awesome! Does anyone have a design or plans for a broadhead target that will be cheap to make, last at least one season, and will not dull blades? Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I want someone to get about 50 lbs of klean Klay the high density type and put it in a 5 gal bucket and tell us how it works and what it would cost. I have an e-mail into the company but I have not heard back on their pricing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't care what you throw a broadhead through, it will dull the blades. No matter what you use, you should atleast touch the blades up on a stone. That said, I just used about 5 pieces of 2" thick styrofoam glued together that some of our products at work come in. Worked good enough for me to shoot 50 or so times in, more than enough to get my broadheads tuned and keep shooting for practice. After that I sharpened them up and they're ready to go.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I called kleanklay yesterday and 50 lbs shipped to NY would be 90 bucks, I thinkthe women said it was around 1.25 a lb. That dosen't sound to bad when a block is 100 and won't last a season with broadheads I just might order today.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I called kleanklay yesterday and 50 lbs shipped to NY would be 90 bucks, I thinkthe women said it was around 1.25 a lb. That dosen't sound to bad when a block is 100 and won't last a season with broadheads I just might order today.
I know that this is the DIY forum, but for this particular application and price point, you'd be WAY better off just dropping that much $ on a Rinehart 18:1. Not to mention their replacement gurantee if you shoot out all sides within 1 year. $100 every two years is a steal.

They're on sale at BP.com right now for $89. PM me and I'll tell you how to save $20 off a $100 pre-tax/pre-shipping order.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
This sort of question has come up before. The best broadhead pit hands down is SAND! It's inexpensive holds up to the weather for ever and never ever wears out :) Build a small pit by digging in a side hill or by making a wooden frame and filling it full of sand.

OK yes it does dull the broadhead, but so does everything else. You should pick three heads to be the sacrificial heads. I paint mine red so I don't accidentally use them for hunting.

One of the questions about sand is "doesn't it damage the carbon arrows" and the answer is NO! we use them at all three of the clubs I belong too and everyone is fine with them.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Another use for the Klean Klay would be to fill holes in foam 3d targets. This might work and be a way for clubs to cut down on target replacement cost.

DonsHarley if you get some tell us how it works.

·
Registered
489 Posts
We just use those boogie boards (i think they're also sometimes called body boards) tape two of em together so one is facing you and the other is directly behind the first.
Seems to do the job, and you can often get old ones that people are throwing out for free. I knew of one guy who got em from the dump lol.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I know that this is the DIY forum, but for this particular application and price point, you'd be WAY better off just dropping that much $ on a Rinehart 18:1. Not to mention their replacement gurantee if you shoot out all sides within 1 year. $100 every two years is a steal.

They're on sale at BP.com right now for $89. PM me and I'll tell you how to save $20 off a $100 pre-tax/pre-shipping order.
Steve,
My daughter in law delivers to Bass Pro everyday can you use the discount on walk in purchases?
Don

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Well I've got 3 samples of Klean Klay on there way to check out the firmness. Gave alot of thought to the rinehart but the bottom line is if you throw enough razor blades at a target no matter how good it is it will soon be cut to shreds and I have 3 neighbors plus my self shooting. The klean klay should last along time since you can repack it. As soon as I decide on what firmness I'll order 50 lbs and let you know

·
Registered
859 Posts
i have a friend that had a target made of the great stuff expanding foam in the red cans that you get at any hardware store filled a trash bag up and then cut the bag off when it was done expanding. id imagine you could do the same in a cardboard box. i use the stuff to repair my 3d target works good and arrows pull easy

·
Registered
983 Posts
i have a friend that had a target made of the great stuff expanding foam in the red cans that you get at any hardware store filled a trash bag up and then cut the bag off when it was done expanding. id imagine you could do the same in a cardboard box. i use the stuff to repair my 3d target works good and arrows pull easy
That's a good idea I hadn't thought of... here's another possibility.

Go to Tractor Supply or any place that sells prefab trailers. They usually ship them using large foam pieces to hold them apart during shipping. Normally they discard those pieces of foam unless someone wants it for something. I've read several times that they work great for broadheads.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Cheap Broadhead Target

This will dull your blades but it works vary well. Sod yes, good ole Sod. I think the last backstop cost me $7.00 and will last about two seasons. And you can pin a target to it. You can take the money you save and buy more broadheads. Thats what I do. Oh just so you know stack the sod on top of each other grass side up.:)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I built my bh target with the guts out of the bag targets. Two bag target guts stuffed in a tight spot will stop the fastest bh tipped arrow. You do have to unraval the material around the bh. I have two post on either side 3 feet from the target and I tied a string tight between them and with clothspins I hang a target from the string, and shoot thru it. CHEAP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts