Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Great job, Scotty. Thank you!

Can you please tell us the cutting diameter of the various heads you tested, as some of them come in various sizes?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Not a bad test. But i can say by actually shooting over 25 deer with slick trick mags, i have never had a tip bend over or have the blades get wavy edge damage. I have even taken up to 3 deer on the same blades. I think actually shooting live deer is the ultimate test and hard to replicate. But your tests are fun to watch.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,496 Posts
Great test!

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,351 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I don't put too much faith in accuracy testing done by a human at 70 yards because there is way too much variability to reach any definitive conclusions. I will say good shooting though.

I shoot a lot of slick tricks and exodus (two favorite heads thus far) and find the tricks a hair more consistent in flight than the exodus (probably because of the full swept solid blades which are simply going to plane more) but way more quiet in flight (not that that matters much). Both are quite accurate though out of a well tuned bow. As far as durability goes, either will stand up to any big game animal with no concerns.

The other heads I'm not impressed by. I don't like long tipped 2 blade style partly because of exactly what the test showed with the tip curling significantly.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Very nice!

I really look forward to watching your field tests, not sure how scientific but I sure like them.
Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tested the exodus against my magnums last year. I was very disappointed in the exodus . I could not get them to group and they were no way near as durable as the slicks. Just my two cents. Thanks sharing your test, great job

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Thanks for your time again and info!! As always I'm pressed with the exodus but watching the helix split and from video how the bone is "thrown" apart is cool.
Looking forward to the Mech head test.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing. I don't put too much faith in accuracy testing done by a human at 70 yards because there is way too much variability to reach any definitive conclusions. I will say good shooting though.

I shoot a lot of slick tricks and exodus (two favorite heads thus far) and find the tricks a hair more consistent in flight than the exodus (probably because of the full swept solid blades which are simply going to plane more) but way more quiet in flight (not that that matters much). Both are quite accurate though out of a well tuned bow. As far as durability goes, either will stand up to any big game animal with no concerns.

The other heads I'm not impressed by. I don't like long tipped 2 blade style partly because of exactly what the test showed with the tip curling significantly.
I bought a hooter shooter for just that reason. It should be here in a few weeks.

The chisel tip of the slick trick and the exodus faired much better against the bone.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great work! I'm surprised how devastating that bone was.

Poor mechanicals aren't gonna stand a chance
yea I was surprised too. It's only 3/8" thick bone. I think it will be a challenge to find a broadhead that will be able to stand up to the bone impact. It will be interesting to see how the mechs do.

It's just so much fun watching the bone blow up in slow motion that I am going to keep using it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
yea I was surprised too. It's only 3/8" thick bone. I think it will be a challenge to find a broadhead that will be able to stand up to the bone impact. It will be interesting to see how the mechs do.

It's just so much fun watching the bone blow up in slow motion that I am going to keep using it.
I was surprised it was so strong and that the round bonemdodnt cause any deflections I'd say its a good medium

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Great test!
Dried bone is extremely hard and a challenge for a broadhead.
A fresh bone is much easier on the broadheads.

The Exodus breaking the arrow on all 3 shots and no breaking on the other broadheads got me puzzled.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Exodus and slicks are my go to heads.... Thanks...

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,496 Posts
All things considered, it seems (to me) like Slick Trick has a slight edge among this group.
I think we would need to know how much penetration the heads got after they went through the bone to determine who the winner is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts