Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
Scorpyd aculeus, 42# black hunter recurve, 47# black hunter longbow, 67# Phantom recurve
706 Posts
This would mean something if ballistics gel actually had any bearing on broadhead performance. The ballistics gel stops the arrow through friction on the shaft, when passing through an animal friction on the shaft isn't what stops the arrow. The QAD exodus performs better because it has a third blade making an extra wound channel so less friction on the shaft.

Also the Rage trypan being "one of the best mechanicals" is probably the dumbest thing said in this video.

But hey, they did it in a fancy lab with bALLiStIcS gel so it has to be sciencey amiright?

·
Registered
15,473 Posts
This would mean something if ballistics gel actually had any bearing on broadhead performance. The ballistics gel stops the arrow through friction on the shaft, when passing through an animal friction on the shaft isn't what stops the arrow. The QAD exodus performs better because it has a third blade making an extra wound channel so less friction on the shaft.

Also the Rage trypan being "one of the best mechanicals" is probably the dumbest thing said in this video.

But hey, they did it in a fancy lab with bALLiStIcS gel so it has to be sciencey amiright?

Youre right, the Trypan isnt "one of the best", it is the best. No comparison.

·
Banned
Scorpyd aculeus, 42# black hunter recurve, 47# black hunter longbow, 67# Phantom recurve
706 Posts
Youre right, the Trypan isnt "one of the best", it is the best. No comparison.

Even most Rage fanboys have some sort of horror story where the blades didn't deploy or when it deflected off a shoulder. On a head like a NAP spitfire the trypan doesn't even reach anywhere near it's performance. You'll never hear about the a NAP spitfire failing to deploy or penetrate. There are no "horror stories" with a spitfire broadhead. Meanwhile the Trypan literally fails to deploy in this video.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Did I hear them correctly? QAD isn't as good as a single bevel for bears and elk? QAD just destroyed everything but a soft flabby bear your better with a tiny cut two blade that fat will plug in 2 seconds. Honestly a Trypan would be better then both for bear. Biggest hole I ve ever seen was with a Trypan. Guys smoking to much Ashby. Another thing let's set up a test to handicap the Rage as much as possible. Put a shoulder blade 4-6" deep so most of its energy is burned before it gets there then try n punch 2" through bone then say it failed like they thought.

·
Registered
15,473 Posts
Did I hear them correctly? QAD isn't as good as a single bevel for bears and elk? QAD just destroyed everything but a soft flabby bear your better with a tiny cut two blade that fat will plug in 2 seconds. Honestly a Trypan would be better then both for bear. Biggest hole I ve ever seen was with a Trypan. Guys smoking to much Ashby. Another thing let's set up a test to handicap the Rage as much as possible. Put a shoulder blade 4-6" deep so most of its energy is burned before it gets there then try n punch 2" through bone then say it failed like they thought.
Glad I didnt waste my time watching it

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Fo sho

bear are very soft critters, I think they are softer than deer, and since you want to hold off the crease a little with bear, they are the best candidate in the big game world for a big ass mechanical… they are nothing like an elk, and elk are not hard to get through… an elk rib isn’t a big obstacle for a broadhead, and an elk knuckle is bad for any broadhead… it doesn’t really matter that much (within reason)

I have seen a lot of arrow shot elk and can’t recall but 2 that the broadhead was a determining factor either way

·
Banned
706 Posts
Fo sho

bear are very soft critters, I think they are softer than deer, and since you want to hold off the crease a little with bear, they are the best candidate in the big game world for a big ass mechanical… they are nothing like an elk, and elk are not hard to get through… an elk rib isn’t a big obstacle for a broadhead, and an elk knuckle is bad for any broadhead… it doesn’t really matter that much (within reason)

I have seen a lot of arrow shot elk and can’t recall but 2 that the broadhead was a determining factor either way
Bear are soft critters until you hit that shoulder. They have a much tougher scapula than a deer. It's true that you get passthroughs easier on bear and they don't go as far as deer, but quartering-to shots on bear are a big no-no.

·
Banned
706 Posts
If your bow has enough energy to pass through that animal then use whatever head you like. If you have the kinetic energy to spare for a wider cut have at it. But you can't tell me that you're going to get better penetration on a shoulder with a QAD or trypan than you will with a 2 blade COC, simple physics and geometry says otherwise. All I'm going to say is I've never seen a deer go far with a 2 blade in the boiling room, but I've seen plenty of trypan resistant deer shoulders.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The QAD and some mechanicals with their harden steel tips will punch through most scapulas super easy even with lower poundage. Heck I've seen a Reaper with 40#s and light arrow break a ball joint and almost get into vitals. I'm pretty sure I just saw Mark Drury clip a scapula with a Rage Extreme get partial exit and that's with 53# 400 ish grain arrow. No one is recommending a Rage for recurves. Stay with your smaller cut. But for this video to hint that the QAD is inferior to a two blade for bear is moronic

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Bear are soft critters until you hit that shoulder. They have a much tougher scapula than a deer. It's true that you get passthroughs easier on bear and they don't go as far as deer, but quartering-to shots on bear are a big no-no.
True, but given unless you are shooting quartered to, there is no reason to play with the scapula, and even on a large bear, the scapula is a small target… I don’t like quartered to on anything myself, I’ll wait for a better angle or there just isn’t a shot

Bear especially, I want very straightforward angles on bear, they are hard enough to tell where the anatomy is, even with a rifle, quartered away or broadside for me… even more important with arrows

Bear are the easiest big game animal to kill with an arrow, shoot through their lungs and they are dead in seconds every time… make a poor shot on a bear and they are the toughest critters in the woods

·
Banned
706 Posts
True, but given unless you are shooting quartered to, there is no reason to play with the scapula, and even on a large bear, the scapula is a small target… I don’t like quartered to on anything myself, I’ll wait for a better angle or there just isn’t a shot

Bear especially, I want very straightforward angles on bear, they are hard enough to tell where the anatomy is, even with a rifle, quartered away or broadside for me… even more important with arrows

Bear are the easiest big game animal to kill with an arrow, shoot through their lungs and they are dead in seconds every time… make a poor shot on a bear and they are the toughest critters in the woods
Also helps that they don't duck arrows and you can basically set your bait up for a broadside shot if it has a backdrop. Definitely much easier to shoot than deer, but much harder to find than deer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts