41 - 60 of 913 Posts

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Doc, I will be giving that a try shortly. I have not shot my broadheads yet with my new bow but now I know what to do if they are off. I must say that this is a great site for new shooters to gain knowledge.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Awesome Doc, Now come over and do mine:wink:

JIM

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks doc

I am new to bow shooting and have that very same problem now. i sighted my bow in @ 20 yards and then put my practice G5 montec( 100 gr) bh on and it was very low and i did not know why!!!! I am offshore right now but will be sighting my bow for bh using this explanation. i have a HOYT turbotec bow do you think i should sight my bow in @ 20 yards or 25 yards that way the difference between a 20 yard shot and 30 yard shot will not be very much. thanks again i just found this web site and i have already learned something new. I love shooting my bow. Is ther some where else on here that i can learn about shooting a bow the correct way!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
DOC
I am sighting in my bow, and have just started shooting BHs. I am hitting about 3 inches apart. I have never adjusted my rest. I guess my ? is should I start over and tune the way you say if so. what should my starting point be?
I just found this site and what a find can see I rookie like me can learn alot

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
do you think i should sight my bow in @ 20 yards or 25 yards that way the difference between a 20 yard shot and 30 yard shot will not be very much.
Sight marks are personal preference for the most part based upon your shooting ability, hunting area and pursued game. I like to set both a 20 and 30 rather than split the difference. Some guys will set a 25 and hold high or low depending on the shot.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
DOC
I am sighting in my bow, and have just started shooting BHs. I am hitting about 3 inches apart. I have never adjusted my rest. I guess my ? is should I start over and tune the way you say if so. what should my starting point be?
I just found this site and what a find can see I rookie like me can learn alot
You can just go ahead and broadhead tune. If you are only 3 inches apart, then some minor rest adjustments will get you grouping FP's and BH's together.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The success ratios will improve this year!:wink:
Thanks and let's hope this is the case. The more "look at my deer" threads, the better:)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Thanks, but I guess it is relatively simple IF you have eliminated any contact issues (aka vane clearance) and your arrows are matched with your rig (that is within factory spec) and the bow is somewhat in tune to start with.
Really is the key to simplified tuning....all you're doing is tuning, not trying to make something work that doesn't want to.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
one pin

Thanks DOC i should have said that i have a trophy ridge titan sight with a single pin does this still change the way i should sight my bow @ 20-25 yards...

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks DOC i should have said that i have a trophy ridge titan sight with a single pin does this still change the way i should sight my bow @ 20-25 yards...
Where do you hunt? What are the normal shot distances? Where is your confidence level? How far away do your shooting lanes extend? Do you use a scent canister or spot attractant? Ask yourself these questions and you'll have the answer. If I could only use 1 pin to hunt I would set it dependent upon the stand. The one stand I would set it at 20 yards on the nose. At a different stand, I would set it at 28.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Doc I have a question. Doesnt this method of moving your rest around change the centershot, nock point on your bow? After everything one does to get proper arrowflight seems to me you are changing to many things with your rest. I want to try this method of bh tuning, just afraid to change my rest location.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Doc I have a question. Doesnt this method of moving your rest around change the centershot, nock point on your bow? After everything one does to get proper arrowflight seems to me you are changing to many things with your rest. I want to try this method of bh tuning, just afraid to change my rest location.
If you have to move your rest position and/or nock point on your bow in order to achieve FP/BH grouping, then your rest/nockpoint was not precisely set to centershot in the first place. Broadhead flight will show minor tuning flaws much better than fieldpoints. Your bow might have been shooting just fine with fieldpoints, but if it doesn't with BH's then you have a bit of tuning to do (assuming your BH weight/shaft/bow set-up is matched and your BH's spin true).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you have to move your rest position and/or nock point on your bow in order to achieve FP/BH grouping, then your rest/nockpoint was not precisely set to centershot in the first place. Broadhead flight will show minor tuning flaws much better than fieldpoints. Your bow might have been shooting just fine with fieldpoints, but if it doesn't with BH's then you have a bit of tuning to do (assuming your BH weight/shaft/bow set-up is matched and your BH's spin true).
Even if your bareshaft and paper tuning is good? Both are good with field fp's. I have not shot bh's yet. So I guess if I feel my bow is tuned well, the bh's and fp's should group well then with no adjustment right? I will try your method of tuning. Thanks for info. Great thread

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Even if your bareshaft and paper tuning is good? Both are good with field fp's. I have not shot bh's yet. So I guess if I feel my bow is tuned well, the bh's and fp's should group well then with no adjustment right? I will try your method of tuning. Thanks for info. Great thread
If your bareshaft and paper tuning is good-to-go, then you should need little to no adjustments for BH tuning (theoretically). Remember with any tuning, you have to realize your goals. The goal for this is to get your FP's and BH's grouping together. This is going to allow you to practice with FP's and ensure the best possible flight for broadheads providing maximum efficiency with respect to speed and penetration.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have been so confused trying to BH tune my Hellrazors, that I finally moved the rest the other direction. This got me there. I then reread your setup and you are a lefty. It all makes since now. Hellrazors are tuned now.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
This is an awsome sight. I would have never had the confidence to BH tune my bow without it. I just shot 2 more shots. 1 BH and 1 FP and the arrows were touching at 25 yards and on X. Well about 1/4" low but together. I thought my bow was tune, but not I consider that a basic tune. The BH Tune is a Fine Tune. Thanks AT.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 913 Posts