Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with broadheads. I've shot the Exodus out of my Carbon Element RKT. Specs are as follow: 62#, 28.5" draw, 27.75" Mach 5 350, with 100 gr tip. I don believe its a spine issue, spine is .331

The broadheads are hitting about 6 inches right and 3 inches low. With field points it shoots bullet holes.

There's just 2 different opinions, some say move the sight, both my pro shops said move the sight. Others say move the rest. Considering the moving the rest option.

I ordered some Phatheads to see if they fly any differently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
I need some help with broadheads. I've shot the Exodus out of my Carbon Element RKT. Specs are as follow: 62#, 28.5" draw, 27.75" Mach 5 350, with 100 gr tip. I don believe its a spine issue, spine is .331

The broadheads are hitting about 6 inches right and 3 inches low. With field points it shoots bullet holes.

There's just 2 different opinions, some say move the sight, both my pro shops said move the sight. Others say move the rest. Considering the moving the rest option.

I ordered some Phatheads to see if they fly any differently.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMO, moving the sight is the super lazy way for a bandaid type fix.

If your BH's and FP's are that far off,there is more tuning to be done!

I would try a bare shaft as well as trying different heads.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. Will bare shaft and wait for the other heads to get in before making any major changes

·
Registered
17,808 Posts
those arrows may be overspined, try a heavier point or add draw weight if possible. do you have access to a 400 spine arrow? i shoot a maxima 350 just slightly longer from a 62lb dream season uf cam at 28" and i have 182 grains up front and get fantastic broadhead flight with many fixed heads.

try moving your rest slightly to the left and see how it reacts, 6 inches is a ways off so i think it is overspined but that does not mean it can not work.

i use gold tip brass insert weights to get the weight in the front of my arrows, u can install them even after the inserts are installed.

·
Banned
17,821 Posts
those arrows may be overspined, try a heavier point or add draw weight if possible. do you have access to a 400 spine arrow? i shoot a maxima 350 just slightly longer from a 62lb dream season uf cam at 28" and i have 182 grains up front and get fantastic broadhead flight with many fixed heads.

try moving your rest slightly to the left and see how it reacts, 6 inches is a ways off so i think it is overspined but that does not mean it can not work.

i use gold tip brass insert weights to get the weight in the front of my arrows, u can install them even after the inserts are installed.

Good point about being overspined!
I would think that would have showed up as a tail left tear on paper....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are overspined wouldn't they be going left? I picked my arrows out according to OT2

There was no tear in the paper. Shot it 10 times

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yes over spined they should be pushing left. Move your rest. And sad to hear your "pro" shop is telling you to just move your sight.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. I'll move the rest 1/16 left to start off. Going to wait for the other heads to just to see where they hit
Compared to the exodus.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
overspined are supposed to hit left.i still haven't located that " supposed to " book. turn the weight up if you can or .400 spine.then you may have to turn weight down.if you are stuck where you are at move rest and tell your "pro" shop to stick it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the .400 spine and I was getting inconsitant groups. The Mach 5's group great. Except the hit low and right.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I think at this point it's as simple as moving your rest. If you don't get the result you want you may have to adjust something else. Paper tuning is a starter tune, it's not the final say and means very little. Bare shafts and broadheads are the acid test. Chances are the little bit you may be overspined isn't going to affect anything, move the rest and see what happens, you can always put it back. Try a couple of bare shafts as already mentioned.

·
Banned
4,878 Posts
I tried the .400 spine and I was getting inconsitant groups. The Mach 5's group great. Except the hit low and right.
No fixed blade head will impact the same as field points out of a bow that isn't in tune. According to Easton you need to move your nocking point down and your rest away from the riser. According to your spine your poundage needs to go up if it still wont tune after you complete those steps. I'm thinking that you will be able to get it to tune pretty decent the way it is now because broadheads especially react a whole lot worse to a weak spine than they do to a stiff spine.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. I'll give that a go. I can also move the rest up instead of the nocking point correct?

I plan on eventually going up to 65#

·
Banned
4,878 Posts
Correct. One important thing to remember tho is to keep your arrow shaft pretty much in line with your burger button hole.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill take a look at it thanks. Im just waiting on the Phatheads to see where they hit and go from there. Just want to get it dialed in. If im withing 2-3 inches id be happy.

·
Banned
4,878 Posts
That should be easy enough to accomplish. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for you help. Not going to be able to do it until the week. But i'll update this with my results. May also need some more help, but hopefully not.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
From everything that I have read about the Exodus heads, they well as well, if not better than even the ST Standards. Good reports on grouping with FP's out to 60-80 yds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts