Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hickory creek mini that I just plain old can not get the broad heads to fly with field points and am looking for ideas.

I’ve paper tuned to bullet holes

I’ve shot bare shafts through paper and at 15yds until those were sticking straight and hitting same POI.

However No matter what I do the broad heads hit about 8” right at 40yds. I’ve moved the rest to the left (towards field points) a long ways. Prob almost 1/4 inch and they’ve notated roughly 8” to the right. Several diff heads and multiple arrows.

The bow is the hickory creek mini inline vertical crossbow.

Any ideas? Everything is tight and it’ll group FP very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
1. What broadheads?
2. I have zero experience with that bow, but I have to think it would tune more like a vertical compound bow than a crossbow. You seem to have done all the logical steps. If you are bare shaft tuned, not sure what else is left to do. Do the broadheads group well, even though they are off from field points? Could just sight in with them. Can you switch to a low profile mechanical? Could be a spine issue with the arrows, or need more aggressive fletching. I had a compound (Golden Eagle Natural grip) with a grip offset to the left of center like the Mini’s grip is. Couldn’t get it to shoot torque free. Maybe contact Jerry Goff, the owner of Draw Loc.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve tried magnus and quads mostly.

Yes I have mechanicals on order specifically because I can’t get this thing to tune.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I’ve tried magnus and quads mostly.

Yes I have mechanicals on order specifically because I can’t get this thing to tune.

I wish you the best of luck with it. They seem like a nice, handy hunting tool.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try changing the eye relief on the scope, as per the comment in the bow specific section.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I’m just gonna give up on broad heads. I’ve tried the spine indexed arrows, multiple broad heads, all sorts of tuning etc etc

I guess this will have to be a mechanical use bow.

The thing is, it’s erratic. For example, multiple times and including last night. I got a few shots in with broad heads that were on point.

Go outside this morning and shoot and they hit 6” to the left and low, few shots later 3 of them impact within 1” of the bull. One left, one right, and one high.

This has happened over and over again through all the struggles. You’d swear you got it and the next day they way off.

Everything is tight and the field points are always on day in and day out, just not broad heads.

Unless someone else has an idea I’m through with it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think the above is a great idea. Surely if its been a problem with more than 1 he's seen a few solutions.

Frustration itself can create the issues you are having. Especially the erratic stuff. Once you get angry you influence the bow far more than you think.

I would try a few things before punting. There is a chance the scope is mechanically damaged internally. Shifting enough from shot to shot that the BH will show the movement but not a FP. I've had the scope mount on regular crossbows come a "little" loose and cause all kinds of problems.

good luck

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you using a scope? Is everything tight? Could you try another scope on it? Could be a bad one.
Using a vortex crossbow scope

All tight, I’d imagine if it was the scope it would do it with field points also

·
Registered
45 Posts
Using a vortex crossbow scope

All tight, I’d imagine if it was the scope it would do it with field points also

Have you noticed any movement in the trigger mechanism? There is a video on Hockey Creeks web site that shows how to adjust and tension it, if there is.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you noticed any movement in the trigger mechanism? There is a video on Hockey Creeks web site that shows how to adjust and tension it, if there is.
No not that I know of or noticed.

I got in touch with jerry and am sending it back in for him to work on.

Will post the results

1 - 17 of 17 Posts