Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here tuning my broadheads. For the record, I have shot consistently all summer.

Setup:
Mathews Drenalin 28.5" @ 70#
Ripcord
Scott Little Goose (I nock on the string with the brass above and the rubber stopper below)
Cabelas Stalker Extreme 55/70 @ 27" (shaft only) w/ 2" Blazers and as much right helical as I could get out of my Bitz.
I have tried both 100 and 125 grain muzzy 4 blades (mx-4's on the 100)

Initially I was trying the 100 grain heads, but I found that the 125's shot much more consistently (maybe because better FOC). I get pretty similar/consistent POI out to about 40 yards, but beyond that the BH's seem to fly all over the place (mainly left, right or above with different POI on different days). I removed the grip thinking that it might be a torque issue, but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem. I know that I might be under spined, but I though cutting the arrows down to 27" might be enough. Nothing I do seems to help bring the groups together. At times I have moved the rest 1/4"+ to try and get some feedback, but it didn't seem to matter much either way

Also, I seem to notice a little cork screw, tail action from time to time (not left to right or up to down, the tail seems to be swirling).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sounds like it could be (a) spine problem (b) form problem or (c) arrow stabilization problem. For your POI to be that erratic, I would think your bow is out of tune. Are your field points consistent? Any wobble at 40 yards with your field points? Have you paper tuned at 3-4 feet?
I don't want this response to turn into a blazers vs feathers post, but my personal opinion is that 4" feathers stabilize a BH far better than 2" blazers.
JMO
Good luck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sounds like it could be (a) spine problem (b) form problem or (c) arrow stabilization problem. For your POI to be that erratic, I would think your bow is out of tune. Are your field points consistent? Any wobble at 40 yards with your field points? Have you paper tuned at 3-4 feet?
I don't want this response to turn into a blazers vs feathers post, but my personal opinion is that 4" feathers stabilize a BH far better than 2" blazers.
JMO
Good luck.

I totally agree with all his statements!! I too shoot 4 inch vanes and last year shoot feather.did get better flight.however in the same boat,not say any is better!! I have been shootin between 65 and 70 yards and form is everything.start with paper tuning and start settin you pins.then If it is still shootin erratic,bet its all form.hope this helps and good luck!!:):)

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
The lack of consistency grouping suggests it's a shooter problem and not necessarily a tuning problem. However here are some other non-shooter possible causes:

1) Shafts are not cut true (i.e broadheads wobble on shaft).
2) Clearance problem (arrow/fletch hitting rest/shelf/cables/etc).
3) FOC is not high enough

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JMO
Good luck.
I have tuned my bow (french, walk back, and paper). I doubt that my tuning was perfect, but I am getting fairly consistent POI with BH at 30 yards and a lot of times at 40 yards, so I don't think it is a tuning issue. Anyway, all the tuning is just to get you in the ball park for BH's and I feel comfortable with my BH's shooting consistently out to 40 yards.

I have shot 4 in feathers in the past, but I don't like their durability, noise (in and out of flight), and performance in cold weather. Also, my blazers shot about 6-8" higher at 60 yards than my 4" feathers, so the speed difference must be significant. I agree that the feathers stabilized my flight better, but it just didn't out weigh the negatives.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lack of consistency grouping suggests it's a shooter problem and not necessarily a tuning problem. However here are some other non-shooter possible causes:

1) Shafts are not cut true (i.e broadheads wobble on shaft).
2) Clearance problem (arrow/fletch hitting rest/shelf/cables/etc).
3) FOC is not high enough
Do you guys have some good references to help me with more consistent form? I have heard all the standard forms rules, but I bet there is some room for improvement in my form somewhere.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Do you guys have some good references to help me with more consistent form? I have heard all the standard forms rules, but I bet there is some room for improvement in my form somewhere.
Very good book--->Bernie Pellerite's Idiot Proof Archery

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Try shooting with a D-Loop.Are you sure you aren't getting a little fletching contact? Little things really are magnified when you get out past forty.

Need a little help here tuning my broadheads. For the record, I have shot consistently all summer.

Setup:
Mathews Drenalin 28.5" @ 70#
Ripcord
Scott Little Goose (I nock on the string with the brass above and the rubber stopper below)
Cabelas Stalker Extreme 55/70 @ 27" (shaft only) w/ 2" Blazers and as much right helical as I could get out of my Bitz.
I have tried both 100 and 125 grain muzzy 4 blades (mx-4's on the 100)

Initially I was trying the 100 grain heads, but I found that the 125's shot much more consistently (maybe because better FOC). I get pretty similar/consistent POI out to about 40 yards, but beyond that the BH's seem to fly all over the place (mainly left, right or above with different POI on different days). I removed the grip thinking that it might be a torque issue, but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem. I know that I might be under spined, but I though cutting the arrows down to 27" might be enough. Nothing I do seems to help bring the groups together. At times I have moved the rest 1/4"+ to try and get some feedback, but it didn't seem to matter much either way

Also, I seem to notice a little cork screw, tail action from time to time (not left to right or up to down, the tail seems to be swirling).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
670 Posts
Throwing this out there....slide the rubber stopper down away from your arrow, and try hooking your release directly under your arrow on the string. I had a setup years ago that gave me fits, and that was the issue. For whatever reason, those "eliminator" buttons caused my arrow flight to suffer big time. Of course, I noticed it at closer yardages too, so it might not be your issue.

If that ain't it...its a process of elimination of all the aforementioned stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts