Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got some Pro Series Thunderhead broadheads...But they are planing all the way down to the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had any tuning ideas that I could use. I tried aligning the vanes and the blades but I couldn't get them aligned. Is there a special way to get these aligned. Also my friend at the pro-shop said they wouldn't plane but they do. So if you could help me with this it would defenitely help.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have only had my bow for a couple months now. I am not really sure how to paper tune my bow, so do you think it would be a good idea to take it to my pro-shop where they set it up for no.

·
Registered
119 Posts
well a bow neeeeds to be paper tuned. it is almost impossible to get decent flight from a bow that is not properly tuned. paper tuning ur bow is actually very easy. alls it is, is shooting an arrow thru a tight piece of paper..........then you can see what your arrow is doin in the air. from what you have said, i would be willing to bet that ur arrows are porposing (sorry about the spelling) I think it is a very good idea to go to the pro shop and get it paper tuned. Because like i said, u will never get consistent broadhed flight from a poorly tuned bow.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hello Tim:

I wonder, where is your nock set? It should be between level, and perhaps 1/8 AOL. What size vane are you using? If you're using your target vanes on a broadhead tipped arrow I assume the broadhead is taking control over the vanes.

More information is needed here.

Richard

·
Registered
542 Posts
TimClark,

Let us know what your setup is. Make of Bow, one cam or two cam, weight you are shooting it at, % of letoff (65 or 75), release or finger shooter, length of bow axle to axle, type and size of arrow you are shooting, your arrow length and your draw length and I an others will give you our advise. Is this the first time to shoot any broadheads out of your bow or have you shot other B.H.'s that flew fine with the same arrow and bow?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I just checked if the bow is paper tuned, and it is. It was shooting bullet holes. So does anyone know of anything else I can do. I have never shot broadheads out of this bow yet. My bow is a PSE Bruin I am currently shooting around 38 pounds. It has 65 % let-off. The broadhead is 100 grains. My draw length is 25 inches. My arrow is 27 inches without the point and with the nock. The arrow type is a PSE Carbon Force Extreme 100. If you need any other info just tell me. Oh and I am shooting with a release. The bow is a 38 inch axle to axle bow. The brace height is 7 3/8". And the vanes are 4 inches so I don't think that is the problem. And the bow is a single cam.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Like shawnee said..........give us that information and we will be able to help a lot better.........it could be anything from your veins being to short, or an arrow being under or over spined, to a cam being out of tune.....so post this info and we might be able to give u some better info

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just editied my message above that shows all of the stats about my bow so just check 'em out.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am 100% sure they are. I am pretty sure they don't advertise the 100's in the catalog. I don't know why but for some reason they don't. But I might just resight/retune my bow for hunting but that will be a pain. So if you have any tips that will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
What weight field tip did you use to paper tune? I would first try moving your noc set down about 1/4 inch. If this does not help you can always move it back up, this sometimes solves the problem when paper tuning shows bullet holes and the broad head hits straight down form the feild tip. try it ans let us know what happens. What rest are you using? How much low are your broad heads compared to field tips and at what distance?

·
Registered
174 Posts
tuning

Howdy! that was my first thought. a possible field pt mix up. perhaps they are not of the same weight as your BH's . Those are an awesome Broadhead, and shouldn't plane (HARDLY) at all, and none with a properly tuned setup. On some arrows, the glue is a hot melt that holds your insert in the shaft. if you can put a BH on, mark a lil line with a pencil for how far you have to turn your insert, pull out your Broadhead, put in a cheep field point, and heat it up, twist the correct amount, and let cool. Should line up now with your Broadheads. Good luck! Happy hunting!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you spun the arrows to make sure they were aligned properly. If you shoot your field tip and your broad heads at 20 yds. they should impact the same. Make your adjustments as needed to move your broadheads toward your field points.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I heated up my insert and that worked great. Now I am shooting with my field points thanks a lot!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your B.H.'s do not have to line up with your fletch as that really makes no difference at all. Your B.H.'s do have to be mounted true so that they spin with no wobble at all. You can check this with an arrow spinner to make sure they spin true and also check your nocks that way. If you don't have a spinner they are not expensive and a good tool to have. For now you could roll them on the corner of a flat surface and watch for any wobble. It is important that both the B.H. and Nock spin true.

If they are true and you still have bad arrow flight I would suggest you try some aluminum arrows with your B.H. in 1816 for your draw length and 38# Bow weight or 1916 if you go to 45#. You can get the aluminum more precise to the spine you need as the carbons have a much wider spine coverage than aluminum. With the lighter weight you are shooting and the short draw length I think it would work better for you to have the more precise spine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.