Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broadhead at 30yds is hitting high and to the left but at 20yds it's dead center. Could someone help me out on why that is and how to correct it?

·
Registered
880 Posts
You just don’t have it tuned yet. Dial your rest just a couple clicks right and down ( very small amount) and see if it will come together. Then go to 40,50, etc until you’re set.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
What bow? Assuming right hand...
Adjust rest to the right, add weight to front end, reduce weight on rear. Or if you have deal cams, add 1/2 twist in left side of the yokes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You just don’t have it tuned yet. Dial your rest just a couple clicks right and down ( very small amount) and see if it will come together. Then go to 40,50, etc until you’re set.
Okay, I will give this a try tomorrow. Won't that effect my 20yd shot though?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What bow? Assuming right hand...
Adjust rest to the right, add weight to front end, reduce weight on rear. Or if you have deal cams, add 1/2 twist in left side of the yokes.
Can I get there by just adjusting the rest? I have a halon, 27.25", 70lbs. 494gr arrow with 215gr up front.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Your arrow is coming out of the bow nock low and nock right, which causes broadheads to plane and impact up and to the left. Use one of the "normal" cures for those two conditions. Broadheads act very much like bare shafts, and the same cures apply.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Okay, I will give this a try tomorrow. Won't that effect my 20yd shot though?
It will actually tighten up shorter distances because the further you go out the less “off” it needs to be to show up on target. That’s because the longer it’s in the air the more time it has to fly off path. For instance at 60 yards 1 click could be all a rest needs to move the arrow over an 2 inches.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Bare shaft tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
Nock low right is fixed by moving rest down and left. Make very small movements, 1/32" at a time or less, and see how it reacts. You move your rest towards the broadhead for right/left misses and away from the broadhead for up/down misses.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Won’t be long before the masses tell you it’s wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's because most everyone on this thread was wrong and told him to move his rest to the right. Huntinsker told him correctly. He needs to move the rest down a smidge, and move it to the left.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nock low right is fixed by moving rest down and left. Make very small movements, 1/32" at a time or less, and see how it reacts. You move your rest towards the broadhead for right/left misses and away from the broadhead for up/down misses.
Okay, thanks. Right now my center shot is at 7/8ths, if I move it left it will be pushing 15/16ths. Is that okay? I have always tried to keep center shot at 13/16ths. I have always used expandable's until this year though.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Okay, thanks. Right now my center shot is at 7/8ths, if I move it left it will be pushing 15/16ths. Is that okay? I have always tried to keep center shot at 13/16ths. I have always used expandable's until this year though.
I'd be looking at some different top hats. I didn't tell you to move the rest because I would not want to do that if it's already looking too far outside....but that's just me. Some people don't mind.

https://www.facebook.com/danmccarthyarchery/posts/1895255280701245/

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Kris and Hunt know what they're talking about, they won't mislead you on tuning issues If you're not pressing and twisting the cables, moving the rest is about your only option. 15/16th is'nt a big deal. As long as BH's are tuned to the field points and arrow flight is as it should be, who cares about the rest.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I wouldn't move the rest much more to the left than 15/16". If BH are still impacting left at that point, you can either try rotating your grip more towards your thumb side(more pressure on right side of grip) or you're going to have to shim with top hats. Cam move to the right on the axle.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This is correct
Anyone saying it’s moved to the right is wrong

Depending on the bow and Cam system moving the rest is one option, but if your shooting a bow with yolks you’ll have better results tuning with those

·
Registered
20,364 Posts
I wouldn't move the rest much more to the left than 15/16". If BH are still impacting left at that point, you can either try rotating your grip more towards your thumb side(more pressure on right side of grip) or you're going to have to shim with top hats. Cam move to the right on the axle.
Agree 100% ^^^

I kind of keep my threshold to 1/8" either way. Personally I don't ever get close to that because I don't own bows without a yoke system but when tuning binaries, 1/8" either side of centershot is as far as I'll go before shimming, assuming I know the person shooting has a good and repeatable grip. If the grip could use some work, I'm not at all afraid to help with that either. Most times people don't recognize just how large of an impact a very small grip change can have. You may find rotating your grip hand only 2-3 degrees counterclockwise before drawing back may move those broadheads right of your field points. Small grip changes, that you won't even be able to see, can make all the difference sometimes.

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
So what have you tried and did it work? Post up when you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts