Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a few times a week but usually just field tips. Decided to sling a few broadheads this afternoon to make sure everything was still hitting right, before hunting in the morning. First shot w/ broadhead dead on. Field tip close as you can get without hitting first arrow. Did this a couple more times steppin back a few yards each time. All the sudden BH starts hitting about a foot to the right and 8-10" down. Thought it was fluke retrieve arrow shoot again. BH hits the same hole foot over, 8-10" down. Field tip still dead on. After several times same results. Switched BH to a different arrow. Arrow hits about 8-10" low but right on side to side. Only way I could get BH to hit bullseye was from 10 yards. Still scratching my head. Not hunting in the morning now. Sounds like im getting rained out anyway. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Are your broadheads spinning true? Ever try a different head besides just the one you shot?

Are you getting string contact on a jacket?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had only brought the one out with me and it was getting dark fast. I eyeballed BH didn't notice any damage. I didn't spin test. But I guess that's a good place to start. Had to be at dinner with the inlaws, so didn't really have time to mess around. Don't think wife would've went for me skipping dinner. Although father n law would've understood. Wondering if field tip might have hit the BH and bent a blade slightly.

·
Killing&Grilling in MD
415 Posts
Does your FP hit off target too? If so your problem maybe something came loose. Check everything.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Does your FP hit off target too? If so your problem maybe something came loose. Check everything.
He said his field points hit right on. I am guessing it is that one broadhead. Spin test it and try other heads.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How old is your string? It's possible that it has stretched and your bow has gone out of tune slightly. I've had this happen in the past with fixed blade broadheads. Your options are get the bow tuned and sighted in again (maybe a new string) or switch to a mechanical broadhead until after the season when you'll have more time to work with.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
He said his field points hit right on. I am guessing it is that one broadhead. Spin test it and try other heads.
Exactly , The very first thing , seems rather obvious from here.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sounds like your broadhead might have got bent. Try another broadhead and see if anything changes. Check for fletching contact too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
String is in great shape. There is a little wobble when I spin tested, where there was none before. I knew better than to try and group shots from 20 and 30 yards. So I guess my field point arrow hit the BH and bent one of the blades a little so its causing it to plane. Its not visible looking at it, but when I spin it something aint right. Thanks for the help guys. Good excuse for santa clause to pickup a new pack of Slick Tricks today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts