Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to start another broadhead thread but lets say I have slick tricks flying good but have 80 lb ke would you shoot a fixed head or go to a mech head to get the bigger cut? Please tell me why and which head you would use

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
I would stick with the Tricks, you have enough ooomph to push them through whatever gets in the way. And you already have them shooting good. Mechanicals are nice for large cutting surface/area but they can fail, good luck getting a Slick Trick to fail.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
There are a few bigger cut options but if you shoot 4 blade ST's thats a lot of cutting surface. maybe look into the Grizztricks...

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
I might get flamed but I am not a huge fan of SlickTricks. OMG..... I love several mech heads. I love my steelheads,and this year i an testing out swackers.

Koz

·
HogHeaven
781 Posts
All I can tell you is 2 years ago I was shooting an 80 pound bow 400gr arrow generating 92lb of kinetic energy with large cut mechanical and made a shot that was too far forward due to a mistake I made pulling my bow up that moved my sight. Never found the deer. It got very little penetration. Last year I killed 8 deer with a muzzy 3 blade and was shooting a diff bow with 78lb of kinetic energy and on one shot I hit to far forward looked almost identical to where I shot the deer the year before, but this time I got great penetration and recovered the deer. Jack Nicklaus said golf is a game of managing your misses, and to me bowhunting is very similar. He made that statement about a game where the target both the ball your hitting and the area you are aiming at dont move. I agree with this in bowhunting because the target does move and moves fast. Use what you have the most confidence in and what you believe will help manage your misses.:thumbs_up

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I might get flamed but I am not a huge fan of SlickTricks. OMG..... I love several mech heads. I love my steelheads,and this year i an testing out swackers.

Koz
I am not going to flame ya cause your not a fan of ST..Or because you love Mechs..But SWACKERS!!! REALLY??Them things scare the dog:censored: out of me

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Not to start another broadhead thread but lets say I have slick tricks flying good but have 80 lb ke would you shoot a fixed head or go to a mech head to get the bigger cut? Please tell me why and which head you would use
I have a pile of Slick Tricks, and I also shoot a couple flavors of mechanicals. Slicks and similar heads are suitabe for any game, with any responsible shot. Mechanicals are fine as long as you respect their limitations. Some mechanicals are better than others. It's important to understand that the size of the cut will never compensate for a lousy shot. Some 2" cut designs are an engineering disaster, and will literally fall apart on a solid rib shot.

It's up to you. I have a supply of Rocket's and Spitfires, and shooting several deer a year with both, for I'm not sure how many seasons, I've yet to have either design fail mechanically. I've bent a couple blades on shoulder shots and leg bones on the exit side, but I've never damaged the heads. I have a leg bone from a nice buck in my basement, with a 85gr slick, buried past the blades, still intact by the looks.

I will continue to use both types again this year. From my "doe bows", a 51lb Turbotec, and a 52lb Vulcan, I'm set up for 85gr Slicks and 100gr Nitrons. In my experience both designs will consistanly pass through a whitetal doe even with lighter arrow weights. From my heavier rigs, I'll use the larger cut (1 1/4"-1 1/2" cut) mechanicals because I know they will work on any deer, any responsible shot, as far as I will take a shot. With 80lbs of KE, a BH that will hold up is more of an issue than anything else. If you go with a mech, use a good one with a sturdy ferrule, plenty of blade thickness, and a simple design.

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
I am not going to flame ya cause your not a fan of ST..Or because you love Mechs..But SWACKERS!!! REALLY??Them things scare the dog:censored: out of me
Yep old Hank is Kinda of a "tool bag" but these heads been around for some time and I like the theory behind the BH. We will see next week. Early doe opens up!!!!

Koz

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Great advice from Danblackshere and Tman51!

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Yep old Hank is Kinda of a "tool bag" but these heads been around for some time and I like the theory behind the BH. We will see next week. Early doe opens up!!!!

Koz
If you have multiple harvest with them..Try an take some mental notes about good an bad an let us know..I shoot light an fast..So my KE an momentum down range isnt what I WOULD prefer for a mech or expandable..If you had good luck with the swackers i would consider them for the crossbow my son will use until he can pull 40lb compound to hunt..Do they make 100 an 125grain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts