Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to rehash an old subject but I've got to buy broadheads this weekend and was wondering if anyone has experience with one of these three.

I'm hanging up the old Thunderheads, (well actually my boy will be using them), and want to try an expandable. I'm down to the trusty Steelhead, the Ironhead XP, or the Gator XP. I've read lots of good testimonials on here about the Steelheads, but none on the either of the other two types (I realize they are new).

5shot rates the Gators highest in point value of expandables, but I don't know what to make of these, what holds the blades from flopping around? Any experience with them?

5shot also rates a bunch of the others including the Ironhead at 23 points, and has feels these are better then the Steelheads for toughness. Any thoughts, opinions, experiences? I know there are lots of good fixed blades and other expandables, but please contain your thoughts or comments to these three.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
steelheads are awesome!! i just killed my first doe of the season this morning with mine and thats the first deer i ever shot with them and they worked really nice. i will use them with all the confidence in the world now since i seen how well they worked. and i too just switched from thunderheads and i am not going back.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thought...

I'd like the broadhead to be the same diameter as my carbon ICS 340's, does anyone know how the different heads stack up?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch!

Well, if anyone has been following the broadhead comments, 5 shot gave the Steelheads a real shot in "Georgestrings" thread labeled "Shame on Rocket AND Gold Tip!!!!". Seems like Steelhead has shortened the threads on their broadheads and it not good for those with Goldtips. I don't shoot Goldtips but I will have to take this into consideration.

No Gator shooters out there? I see great results from 5 shots tests, can no one verify how good/bad they are?? How about those expandable Ironhead XP's? I go to the archery shop tonight, and plan to make the big decision soon...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TTT

Nobody with the Gator XP's huh?? No Ironhead XP's either? Man, I'm gonna have to put some doe scent on this thread...:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts