Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about changing broadheads this year. I shot slick tricks last year and I don’t have any complaints with them, but I’m someone that likes to change things up. I’ve been looking into wasp and rocket mechanicals. I haven’t talked to anyone that’s shot these heads before, but I’d like to try them out. What’s everyone’s thoughts on them?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've shot lots of deer over the years with many broadheads. Wasps are one of my favorite of all time. The 100 grain Boss Bullet being the one I like best from them. Compact, sharp, tough and well made. I really like it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rocket steelheads are fantastic heads.
I’ll look into them, I know the Midwest whitetail group talked well about them, but I’ll have to look into them a little more. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
ive been shooting rocket miniblasters both 4 blade and 3 blade and also rocket slammerheads too. ive been getting small entrance holes and big exit holes. bucks have been easy to find. They are probably the most forgiving Broadhead I have ever shot they really do fly like a fieldpoint. Not all Mechanicals do. You can't get mini blasters anymore they don't make them... they are supposed to come out with a 4 blade rocket Sidewinder and they also have the hammerheads.
You can get sidewinder and hammerhead blades VERY sharp with a KME sharpener.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
BowhunterT100
6,534 Posts
I'm trying rocket sidewinders for the first time this year. I've heard great things about them so I figured I would give them a try.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Out of all my equipment, mechanical broadheads have been the only item that I have not been able to settle on. I've tried a variety of mechanicals over the past few years....Rage, grimm reaper, shwacker, killzones, xecutioner and grave digger. This year I threw the jak knifes in the mix and I can honestly say they give me the confidence I have been looking for . That is when you know you have found the right broadhead. If you question any piece of your equipment that doubt will find its way into your head at full draw.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
jakhammers and spitfires are very similar and time proven lethal heads. when i look at over the top mechs, i like the 3 blade ones. in my mind, theres less chance for deflection(playing probability) and if one blade fails, youre not giving up 50% of your cut. 3 blades minimize the potential issues. i have a few spitfires in the box that have been through more than one deer, a quick teardown/cleaning and resharpen and they are good to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jakhammers and spitfires are very similar and time proven lethal heads. when i look at over the top mechs, i like the 3 blade ones. in my mind, theres less chance for deflection(playing probability) and if one blade fails, youre not giving up 50% of your cut. 3 blades minimize the potential issues. i have a few spitfires in the box that have been through more than one deer, a quick teardown/cleaning and resharpen and they are good to go.
I may give the jak hammers a try. I had spitfires before and wasn’t too pleased with them, but that could have just been my personal expirience and that’s just my opinion. I’m sure that they work fine

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've always had Magnus stingers, hornets, and Ramcats for deer throwing NAP thunderheads in the mix for hog hunting. This year gonna try QAD exodus and some Rage extreme 125s my brother gave me.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I always Say to myself "I'm going To Use Something Different This Year" then just always seem To Grab the arrow with a rage chisel tip two blade.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I watched my father in law shoot an antelope buck with the Wasp Jackhammer at 40 yards. hit him low in the heart. A lot of blood and was able to watch him bed down and stretch out and died in short order. Crazy blood.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Iron Will!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts