Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to get a lot of differing opinions but I want to get a consensus of what you guys think the best broadhead for black bear is.
I shot a bear in Haliburton, Ontario with a Rocket Sidewinder and put him down with one shot. He only went 40yds. I just bought some Rage 2 blades 2" dia. but am hearing differing opinions. How about the G5 Montec with a 1-1/16" dia.? Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
been guiding for several years and have guided an increasing number of bowhunters and montecs, shuttle tlocs, bloodrunners, and rage have all taken bears. the biggest reason for loosing them is poor shot choice i always stress the broadside shot and taking time dont rush the shot.
hope this helps

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!! Thank you so much! I just got a new Matthews Z7 and plan on shooting the 1-1/16" 100 grain. Did you use a 100 grain? Going to Maine for spring bear hunt on indian land.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to your fine state in 3 weeks to hunt on indian land. Thanks for your comments. Did they use the Rage 2 blade or 3 blade. I'm not hearing great things about the Rage broadheads when it comes to hitting bone. What do you think? Just got the Matthews Z7 @ 70#. Just love it!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am planning on bear hunting this fall for the first time ever. I have used the montecs for several deer, and they have always worked awesome. I purchased some Rage 3 blade heads to try this year. Still undecided which one to use bear hunting though. I'm sure either one will work great as long as the shot is placed properly.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,534 Posts
I went two years ago to Millinocket Maine, took my second bear using the 2 blade Rage, bear went 30 yards and left an amazing hole.
The guide was impressed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Black bears are made of glass. If you hit them in the right spot with any head you will watch them drop within sight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great! Thanks for your reply. I'm going bear hunting in May and Sept. Maine has GREAT bear hunting! You should have a great time!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
this isnt completely true.

Black bears are made of glass. If you hit them in the right spot with any head you will watch them drop within sight.
i hit one broadside with the old crimson talons the bear lost enough blood for several transfusions tracked him for 3miles and the next morning grid searched for 27 miles according to my gps and never found the bear mind you i saw the arrows fletching sticking out just behind the forward shoulder.
bear are hard to judge in evening conditions you may think its perfect broadside but maybe slightly quartering in either direction in my case i had believe quartering away more than i thought.

as for rage broadheads i dont shoot them but have seen alot of sucess w both 2 and 3 blade.

hope all of you have great hunting adventures while you are here. we had a very good year last year w 100% sightings, 95% shot ops, and unfortunately 80% kill one lost with a bow and one with a rifle. this year the weather has been mild and bear are on the move. dont forget to eat a lobster while your here and if you cant find one let me know.

·
Registered
15,724 Posts
3 blade Rage

I killed a bear last August with a Rage 3 blade. The shot was 19-20 yards and I hit him in the pocket as he turned to leave the bait...perfect shot. The bear went only 23 yards and piled up. I ended up taking both lungs perfect. The entry hole was huge and the exit was tiny. It actually left the the least amount of sign I have seen(with that shot placement)of all the heads I ever killed bears with...not sure why. It's one of those head scratchers we all come across. It's funny how sometimes no matter what u use on the critter (with a great shot) does not leave a great b trail. The head did its job fine so I can't say it failed or anything like that. I won't use them again because the head was un-usable after going thru the ribs of the bear. The head bent and the blade slots colapsed. I've seen what Montecs do on a bear and I like their durability so I would recomend the G5 product. Put it where it counts and both will do the job fine...Good hunting!
Whack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts