Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to florida hog hunting this month. I have took several deer with the Rage broadhead but not sure if it will stand up to the PIGS! I would like to say with mechanicals, Any suggestions?

· Catch us if you can!
5,720 Posts
I personally wouldnt use rage on hogs unless they are smaller meat hogs but if you have the chance of running into a PIG of a boar (pun intended haha) i would go fixed, need serious penetartion to get through that plating on their ribs, oh and if you get the chance take a quartering away, best shot you can put on a hog, when i think of hog broadheads G5 Striker, Slick Tricks, and if you have the money the new Montec CS would be absolutly perfect

· Registered
427 Posts
Rage BH are fine, shot hundreds of hogs w/ them. all you need to do is produce enough KE to get through the shield on a boar hog and you will be fine. Just choose a BH you shoot well so you can place a nice shot.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Sharp ones!! Really I think ANY quaility broadhead that is razor sharp and put in the right spot will do the trick. With that said I use 4blade stingers.

· Registered
402 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-woXJdQP9I
Have a look at this Link....as for Florida specifically...give the Brady Ranch a call...they have outfitted hog hunts for bowhunters for years....they were frustrated with all other broadhead results which may/may not kill the hogs..but chasing wounded hogs in palmettos is dangerous and not fun....they were seeking a better broadhead for thier customers and themselves and tried our Atom...guess which broadhead is thier preferred broadhead for hogs now....Why? It can penetrate even the largest boar hogs shoulder plates, put four exposed cutting edges thru thier vitals and keep going....the hogs are dropping quick and dead....don't take my word for it...call them...in the mean time...here are some hogs shot demonstrating why Outfitters prefer the Atom over any other design. New technology.....we can kill hogs this easy....imagine what we do to deer, elk, moose, bear, african animals....

· Registered
1,363 Posts
i,m going hunting for hogs at the end of this month, but i'm going to Oklahoma. i shot expandables for years, but never on hogs. they are tough and don't seem to really ever stop moving, so i've always used a good sharp fixed blade, just for the peace of mind that if it's a marginal hit, it will still get in the vitals and leave a good blood trail. i would suggest four blades with COC tip. i use Wac'em Exits, and they leave awsome blood trails and fly identical to my field points.

· Registered
402 Posts
Here are three hogs shot with the Atom...one is my daughter whom shot that 267 lb whopper....the one in the snow is from a customer whom resides and hunts out of Budapest, Hungary....the other gentleman is a police officer living and hunting in the mountains of Spain....Hogs of any size...on any continent....same results

Attachments

· Registered
13,544 Posts
In my opinion, hogs are not as difficult to kill and penetrate as many folks give them credit for...unless you are going over 300 pounds. If you are over 300, I would go with a fixed blade, but for under 300 any strong and durable mech will do. If you are looking for a great penetrating and very durable mech, hard to beat the Rocket Steelhead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.