Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bow is in tune, I'm using a release, the carbon arrows are matched to the bow's draw weight and the broadheads are the same weight as the field tips.

All the broadheads are fixed blade broadheads....3 blade chisel point and 4 blade cut-on-contact.

My best guess is that this bow is shooting a much faster f.p.s. than bows that I've owned in the past, but I haven't chronographed it yet. I've always owned bows that shot in the 230 to 240 f.p.s. and the last bow that I owned shot 283 f.p.s. and it had the same problem....until I switched back to aluminum arrows. With aluminum arrows broadheads and field tips hit in the same place. :confused: I prefer the speed and flatter trajectory of carbon arrows.

Sounds like the next "fix" is to switch to mechanical broadheads. :rolleyes:
What else would make my broadheads hit about 4" lower than the field tips?

·
Registered
817 Posts
mechanical heads

Bow Hunter
I had the same problem and the fix was mechanical heads. I always shot fixed heads until I bought a new bow also. I tried hard not to switch but it was not worth the aggrivation to keep trying to make sure all arrows that left my bow would fly true. I am not very knowledgable at the micro tunning process so I switched. Since then I have had not problems taking game with the mechanical heads and they always fly true.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Try lowering your nock in very small increments.Plenty of folks shoot carbon and fixed blades at those speeds.How are your groups?Go to eastons web site and download their tuning guide.

CB

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yep, do a little messing around with your setup before converting to mechanicals. Like CAJUNBOWHNTR said, lower your nock point in very small increments. I have broadheads and fieldpoints hitting together at over 40 yards, but, I'm only shooting in the high 240's. Still, the principle is the same. It might take just a little more work to get them to group with each other at the faster speeds, but you can probably get it done. You'll love the end result when you have everything worked out right.

peashooter

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Personally I've found that carbons do not as well as aluminum or ACC shafts. I've tried them all. Read this article on carbon shafts and tuning them. Pay close attention to the last paragraph.

What to do with Arrows that don't group well.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Shooting 276fps Stingers hitting same POI as field points out to 60 yards.... havent shot past there as I don't see the need...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the informative replies, gentlemen! :)

I'm going to try some nock point "tinkering" and see what happens. :rolleyes:

As the bow is set up currently, it shoots field tipped arrows with great precision (great groups out to 60 yards). If I know what the yardage is (laser range finder) I can put an arrow on it...within an inch or two. However, I'm one of those guys that will shoot a 3-D competition in the morning and go groundhog hunting in the evening, so I expect more from my equipment. This broadhead "thing" is a bit perplexing, but I'm going to work on it this afternoon and get back to you guys. :)

Thank You to all!!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
518 Posts
what kind of carbons are you shooting? Some are better than others.Yes the spot hogg site has some good info.

Javi what arrows are you shootin?

CB

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
If I shot carbons, I would only shoot ACC's, just because they are much easier for me to tune with b-heads.

Now you know why I hunt with Easton X7's. They fly like darts, are super quiet compared to carbon, and there is little difference in trajectory out to 35 yards. If I hunted out west I would probably use ACC's.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
CAJUNBOWHNTR said:
what kind of carbons are you shooting? Some are better than others.Yes the spot hogg site has some good info.

Javi what arrows are you shootin?

CB
ICS Bemans 340's and 400's 28 inches 4 or 5 inch heilical vanes..... BTW I shot at 70 yrds this afternoon... and I am happy to report same POI still....

I do find that one or two arrows out of a dozen will not group... I just save those for friends to borrow:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am shooting the bemans ICS 400 this year as well.Pretty good accuracy out to 40 yds which is as far as I normally shoot.I'm going back and forth between vanes and feathers though.I did find the weight of the arrows was within 2 grains for all dozen shafts.7 were within 1.5 grains.I did have one split at the nock end.I am now using acc-60 nock inserts and g nocks.70 yds with the stingers that's impressive.

CB

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I'm not going to shoot at game that far but it give one a bit of confidence to know one could.:D

Cajun are you using heilicals or offsets....

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Derbytown,
Thank you for the broadhead tuning image. I saved it to a disc for future reference.

I found the problem. :rolleyes: The arrow was not sitting square on the rest. When I checked it with a bow square, it was 3/16" low and that's plenty to cause low arrow flight with a broadhead. It pays to check out everything from time to time.

All is well, now. I'm shooting all kinds of broadheads at the same point of impact as my field tips. :) Time to go out hunting with this bow and make something bleed. :cool:

Thank you all for the informative posts!

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
24 Posts
C.O.F.

It could be the center of front it's were your broadhead is a little longer then your field point it's being the weight out farther or it could be planing down,,, ferrel could be bent.. ....what type of rest are you shooting it may need more tension if it's a TM style rest.........

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
AKDoug said:
So he thinks I'm anal for wanting the best performance I can acheive from my bow, arrow, field point, and broadhead. And tuning to find it.

I've been called worse, but I'm old and got time to kill. I'ts better than watching TV, or chasing the wife, (if I caught her, she'd just slap me).:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts