Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried shooting my broadheads yesterday (Muzzy 100gr 4 blade) and ran into some trouble. From 20 yds they were hitting 3 -4" lower than my FP's. Following the Easton tuning guide i began lowering my nock point in 1/32" increments. The FP impact climbed as much as the BH's until the 3rd move when my arrows began porpoising and corkscrewing. For comparison I shot the Sonic sample BH once and it hit dead center. unfortunatly the tips of two of the blades broke off on the first shot. (I shoot BH's into stacked magazines). Going out and dropping $30 per package on different BH's until i find a brand that hits with my FP's is not really an option. ( the archery budget is spent) I would think there is a way to get the Muzzys to fly with my field points. i never had any trouble with my old setup and 125gr 4 blades. my current setup is as follows;
Reflex Highlander 50-60lb - set at 60lbs
26 1/2" drawlength
Beman ICSH 400's cut to 26 1/2"
Whisker Biscuit rest
100gr tips as mentioned

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checking FOC - on FP setup it's 10%, on the BH setup it's 8.77%. Wouldn't a lower FOC make you shoot higher? Is 8.77% too low for broadheads?

I also tried shooting the hunting blades rather than the practice blades. There was no difference in the POI.

BTW the fletching is 4" Flex Fletch with an offset.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have an opinion? Could it be a tuning issue with the cam&half? ATA and Brace Height is right on and the tiller measurements are identical.I'm not sure I am reading the reference holes right though, I'm not over either one. Draw stop timing looks about perfect. I was thinking I might be overspined, the Beman chart shows me as borderline between the 400s and 500s. I tried a 125gr Muzzy I had left over from my old setup and it also shot lower than a 125gr FP. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A whisker biscuit.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I always had the same problem. The only thing I ever found that would fix it was to use 2219 arrows instead of the 2314s I was using. Don't know if it's because the heavier arrow (2219) is slower or what. Only tried it because that is what my brother was using and they shot great for him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bh

why do you want your bh to hit the same spot as your field tips?I don't get it.if you are using broadheads,sight in your bh,s, and if you are using field tips site them in also, or are you using both of them sometime.someone explain it too me why you would want both. thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
I prefer shooting the broadheads that i hunt with.Practice with my hunting broadheads.Cause thats what im gonna use for the deer i shoot.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I prefer to have my broadheads hit the same as my field points because it just makes things easier and it saves wear and tear on targets. Heck it even saves wear and tear on my sights not having to adjust them back and forth. Doesn't dull broadheads, which are expensive. Broadheads are also more dangerous to practice with. More likely to get cut or accidentally cut a string.

Even when I sighted in for the 2314s the 2219s shot flatter even though they were a heavier arrow. That tells me I'm getting better overall arrow flight with the 2219s too.

I see no reason NOT to want your field points and broadheads to hit the same.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
bow75 said:
why do you want your bh to hit the same spot as your field tips?I don't get it.if you are using broadheads,sight in your bh,s, and if you are using field tips site them in also, or are you using both of them sometime.someone explain it too me why you would want both. thanks
B I N G O

I have 2 sites for 1 bow!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Washi hit the nail on the head. If my broadheads hit with my field tips I can practice all season with the field tips, only occasionally shooting BHs to verify POI. Bhs tear up a target pretty fast and are expensive. If your shooting at 3d animals or paper silhouettes you can tear up fletching and arrows pretty fast also or limit your shooting to 1 arrow at a time. In addition I feel, and I may be wrong here, that a properly tuned bow should shoot FPs and BHs to nearly the exact same POI.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I just went and checked the spine ratings on the 2314 and the 2219. The 2219 is quite a bit stiffer than the 2314. Maybe thats why my broadheads shoot so much better on the 2219. My bow shop has insisted the 2314 is spined just right for me even though I wanted to try the 2413 because I thought it was spined about right.

Maybe you should try a little stiffer arrow and see what it does for you. Actually looking how short your arrows are cut maybe you could be overspined. I don't know anything about the Bemans though.

I guess you could turn down your limbs a few pounds and see if that helps. Or borrow an arrow from a buddy or two to try.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I posted before, I think I'm already slightly overspined. But I am going to try turning the bow down a couple pounds, just for kicks and giggles. I would turn it up a couple but I'm alteady maxed out. I also will try moving the rest up instead of the D loop down. I know it's 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other but stranger stuff has happened. Worst case scenario is I'll have to move my sights, but what is bothering me and making me think it's a tuning issue is the broadheads are hitting 3" lower than the FPs at 20 yds and 5" lower than FPs at 30 yds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you make sure your inserts are perfectly straight with no wobble! Check each arrow with a known straight tip(new), set arrow tip down and spin the arrow. You will see any noticable tip wobble asap, if that is there it will be very hard to group. If you find that, heat the tip/insert until it softens and you can move it and reseat it and do the spin test again.
I had problems as well and found that + I felt my speed was a factor. So I said heck with it, went to Rocket Sidewinder 100 and had devastating pass throughs and blood lossage.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I've checked for tip alignment. My broadheads are grouping fine, just low. This morning I raised my rest slightly and adjusted my D loop, I think it was too tight and pinching my nock. It's seems to be getting better but I have to quit for the day. Working the afternoon shift this week. I will try bare shaft tuning again also the first chance I get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts