Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a 2003 Hoyt Dynatec with 100 gr. field tips. Bow is tuned well and my groups with the field tips are tight out to 50 yds.
Then I got some PSE Brute 3-blade broadheads....

from 20 yds and out, the arrow appears to be heading for the spot and then it dives low and left appx 6"-10" from its intended spot.

I think this is called planing of the broadhead, where its catching too much air like a wing and moving left...

Would a 4 blade b-head be better, any suggestions?
Do i need arrows specifically for broadheads? ( I have Gold Tip 7595 hunters now)

Help!!!

PB

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
What draw weight, and draw length are you shooting?

That is a pretty stiff arrow especially for 100 grain broadheads.

Also how much offset or heilical do you have on your fletch or vanes?

And do you shoot feathers or vanes and what size?

Answer these and maybe we can help.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a 29 1/2" draw shooting about 64 lbs.

The arrows are the stock 2% helical, I believe, with vanes-4"

If the arrow is too stiff, why would the broadheads plane?
I am learning about this, so thanks!

I am willing to go up to 125 grains, but I'm not excited about re-sighting my bow!

PB

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You are way over on your spine for that draw weight and arrow length. But you can probably still get the broadheads shooting with the field tips. Download and follow the Easton Tuning Guide.
It will help you understand better.

Easton Tuning Guide

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How long are those gold tips with a 29.5 draw? If those arrows are 29 or 30 inches long, your spine is stiff, but not excessively. Look at the tuning guide, page 14 for broadhead tuning and play with rest position and nock point to see if the groups come together. If not, I would try some 125 grain heads and see where they group. If all else fails, screw on some Rocket Steelheads in either 100 or 125 grains, they will group perfectly and work great with your setup.

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I say the foc is not enough! Plus, I have tried those BHeads liked the way they looked but would not fly very good in one of my setups back in the early 80's. And that bow was'nt fast at all. Try spin testing and trueing on a arrow straitner. I ended up shooting 130gr. 4-bl. Muzzy and 125gr. T-heads w/that setup. Much cheaper than arrows!!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Sounds like you need to spin test all your arrows. I bet some are "diving " worse than others. This is usually caused by broadheads not being perfectly aligned with the arrow shaft. Check it out, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pastor brian....I was having similar problems...only with the 5575 arrows....I downloaded the guide javi gave you and followed instructions on broadhead tuning and now my BH shoot with the field tips...and I have tried 3 different broadheads...all work the same so go with brother javi!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Solve all wind plain problems!!

I know you have listened to the HYPE about the TURBO NOCKS, but buy 1 and try it! You will solve all flight problems! I use fixed blade Crimson Talon and I have won 2 broadhead shoots with them and TN!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
go to www.broadheadtests.com click on the tuning section. That should help answer most of your questions. If have some specific questions after reading that drop me an email and I would be glad to help out

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am shooting tonight, but here is what I have gathered and done.

Without getting new arrows, I am going to follow the easton method of tuning and see if 1 particular alignment will get some better flight.
I have leveled my nock, and checked all other pertinent measurements.

According to the easton guide, I may be better with 125 broadheads, so I may try these as well.

thanks and I'll post info late tonight.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm also getting this problem with my new Muzzy 4-bladers diving on me. My bow is well tuned with my field pts. My setup is 28 1/4" arrows, Beman ICS 400s, 90gr. Muzzy 4 blade, 64 lbs draw weight, shooting 279 fps, 4" vanes w/ 2 degree offset. I shoot a drop away also if that helps. I've read through the tuning guide, but just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas right of the bat!!!!

DeadNutsAA

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I'm shooting Muzzy 4 blade 100's on GT Hunter Ht's, 7595, 28 inches. 70 pound draw weight. They hit more consistant than my field points.

I do fletch with about a 5 degree straight offset.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wel, according to the Easton chart, I am overspined for a 100 gr broadhead.

My friend who has vapors with less spine stiffness shot the brute broadheads last night and they flew perfect!
he traded me for some myzzy 125 grain and i'll see how those fly today...

PB

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Pastor,

Do yourself a favor and try the smaller blade diameter Muzzys. A 100 grain 4 blade Muzzy would be my suggestion. If your bow is not tuned perfectly, you should notice a significant improvement in flight between the 1 inch diameter, and those heads larger that 1 inch(eg the 125 grain muzzy is over 1 inch).

Smaller cutting diameter will give you better flight. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well- I think I figured it out...

Went to the bow shop and told my local guy what was happening. We paper tuned the bow and "voila" it was tearing badly.

Moved my rest out a little, reduced the tension to "low" (quicktune 800) did a little field tip shooting and the 125 broadheads flew like bullets!

I might try the 100s later, but so far so good!

PB

·
Registered
465 Posts
You still may not get the 100s to fly good if in fact you are overspined for them. If your shooting 125s good stay with them a 100 gr. does'nt offer moch of an advantage over a 125.
I was having the same problem you had as far as spine I went from a 125 muzzy head That kept planning to the left. I then went to a 160 gr. head. and walla problem solved. I did not have to touch my sights to compensate for the heavier head. My arrows fly like darts now and I do have a more aggresive broad head Simmons 160 shark. Bow tune is essentiall but even the best tued bow if not match to the right spine will not work.
Good luck I hope thing work out sounds like you getting there
Tim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts