Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer season is coming soon here in SC and i need to buy some broadheads for my son, what do you suggest for a fixed blade broadhead?
By the way he is shooting a 52# bow with a 26 inch draw.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i dont know exactly were you are in SC,but i went to wal-mart and picked up some 3 pack coc 100gn realtree broadheads for $7.00 on clearance.

·
Lefty Shooter
1,439 Posts
Try the 75 gr Muzzy's or 75 gr Thunderheads. We sell alot of those two for Kids and Ladies.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with the Magnus Buzzcuts. Cut on contact tonto tip and life time replacement guarentee. I have Slick Trick mags 100's, Magnus Buzzcut 100's four blade and Grim Reaper 1 3/8 100's. For what it's worth, the Buzzcuts penetrate my Rinehart target the best. I'm no expert but I think it takes a bit more energy for penetration with the 4 blade Slick Trick mags, the standards my be different but I don't have any experience with them. They all fly great out of my bow, but I've spend a lot of time tuning and it even shoots Muzzy 3 blade 100's the same as the others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, i was thinking about the Magnus buzz cuts or the slick tricks because they come in 85g but i have also heard a lot of good about the thunderheads, and muzzys too so im still trying to decide what i should get for him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Try the shuttle t locks, they are very accurate

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The little Thunderhead is excellent.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Any sharp fixed blade from a reputable company will work great.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Slick Trick 100's get the magnums they are a 4 blade 1 1/8" cutting head. They make "slug holes" when they go through due to the 4th blade. Nasty. Awesome. Deadly. Now I sound like a commercial ;)

·
Registered
37,024 Posts
For a lower poundage bow like that I would say one that gets really good penetration. Look at the Shuttle T's, Wasp Bullets, Steel Force Phat heads..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Slick trick coc are great, G5 montecs are good, Muzzy Coc and American Broadhead Sonics would all work for him.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
X - 3 or 4 for the Thunderheads. I have shot 85 and 100 grains, but fly well and cut easy. I like the way muzzies load the blades, but like the point tip better on the Thunderheads. He will need to shoot them prior to hunting to make sure the bow is tuned correctly. I have heard a lot of good things about the Buzz Cuts, but have not tried them myself. I like a high carbon tip.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with the Magnus Buzzcuts. Cut on contact tonto tip and life time replacement guarentee. I have Slick Trick mags 100's, Magnus Buzzcut 100's four blade and Grim Reaper 1 3/8 100's. For what it's worth, the Buzzcuts penetrate my Rinehart target the best. I'm no expert but I think it takes a bit more energy for penetration with the 4 blade Slick Trick mags, the standards my be different but I don't have any experience with them. They all fly great out of my bow, but I've spend a lot of time tuning and it even shoots Muzzy 3 blade 100's the same as the others.
The Buzzcuts or regular Magnus Stingers will be your best bet for that set up

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the evaluation forum there is a great write up on allot of heads, including the best low poundage bows. Take a look at his findings there are some neat surprises in there.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would say a cut on contact broadhead. I'm thinking of a Slick Trick Razor Trick, or a Muzzy Phantom MX. Any bh will fly good if the bow is tuned properly, but some are more forgiving if the bow is not tuned properly. Usually the compact fixed blades are the more forgiving ones. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts