Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot 3 blade muzzys the last two years and never did broadhead tune my bow I just sited my bow to the broadhead. This year I tried tuning it but I couldn't get them grouping good. I am thinking of switching to a mechanical. What would be the best broadhead for me? I am shooting a Martin @60# with a 350gr arrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Love grim reaper.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Is the issue grouping alone, or do the 3 blade Muzzy's not shoot to the same spot as the field points? I only ask because I have always felt that mechanicals were a bandaid fix for a bow that needed some tuning.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
Is the issue grouping alone, or do the 3 blade Muzzy's not shoot to the same spot as the field points? I only ask because I have always felt that mechanicals were a bandaid fix for a bow that needed some tuning.
x2...

Your going to have problems if you just use mechanical's because you can't get your fixed blades to fly right. This is when you hear about people not getting good penetration on game. You need to tune your bow not matter if your using fixed blade's or mechanical's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried more than once to broadhead tune no matter what i do they dont group with the field points

·
Registered
421 Posts
tune up makes a major difference

i learned how to tune my bow this year and my first shot broadhead tuning my muzzy bam! there goes an arrow busted checked again right on these guys on here are great

·
Registered
23,241 Posts
Are you shooting the proper spine arrow? Are they spinning true?
I would hazard a guess that at least 75% of broadhead tuning issues are the result of shaft spine issue the shooter presumes is OK because a saleman or a box chart said so. Being a bare shaft tuning proponent, I would highly recommend that you remove the fletching from one arrow and shoot it at 20 yards to see how it flies in relation to your fletched arrows. While it is possible to have heads that don't fly well due to design or construction, any good fixed blade head should shoot reasonably well from a well matched and tuned setup.

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
While it is possible to have heads that don't fly well due to design or construction, any good fixed blade head should shoot reasonably well from a well matched and tuned setup.
I agree with this as long as the arrow has NO wobble. This doesn't have to come from the design or construction of the head it can also come from the way the arrow was cut or the way the insert's are glued in. Even the slightest bit of wobble can make a broadhead fly like you duct taped it on. The closer the spine is to being to weak or to stiff the worse it will show also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the arrows are Gold Tip Devastators 5575 cut at 29 inches. my bow is a 08 Martin DL 28.5 DW 60# Fletching 4inch Vanetech

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just spin tested them and they are fine. Can you explain how I might be a little weak? I used the chart on the box of arrows and those are the arrows it said.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts