Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have used them in the past. Still do depending on what arrow I choose. The broadhead weight doesn't mean anything. It is all in your total arrow weight and what you spine properly with your setup. When I shoot a .340 shaft, I have to shoot an 85gr head. With a .300 spine, I can use a 100gr head. I shoot whatever head weight I can bare shaft correctly. You also have to consider front of center too.
Dan

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Yes.....for many years

I always select a broadhead based on the FOC that I require.

Sometimes that means an 85gr. head

The next thing I do is look for the best head in that class.

The fact that it is an 85 alone has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree but a 100 or a 85 makes a difference as far as your overall arrow weight. When you pick an arrow combination it includes what type of tip you will be shooting. your combination at 100 grains will sometime be a much heavier and have much slower speed. Is this not right

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
2nd time around said:
I agree but a 100 or a 85 makes a difference as far as your overall arrow weight. When you pick an arrow combination it includes what type of tip you will be shooting. your combination at 100 grains will sometime be a much heavier and have much slower speed. Is this not right

Your combination with an 85 grain as opposed to a 100 grain head will only vary by 15 grains, if you're shooting a 385 grain arrow with an 85 grain head, switching to a 100 grain head will bring your arrow weight up to 400 grains. A 15 grain difference is equivalent to a 3-5 fps difference in speed, which isn't all that much in reality.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I am shooting 85gr Thunderheads. For me and the setup I am using it gives me the weight I want and they fly and group perfectly. Also I have used the setup to take several clean kills.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I used Thunderhead 85's for a few years. Never had a problem with them.
I like mechanicals now and have shot 75 grain Mini Buck Blasters with good results to. But don't use Mechs if you shooting low poundage.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,401 Posts
I'm shooting 85gr. Slick Trick because it makes my spine stiffer. I shoot several different weights of arrows and my hunting arrows are 344Gr.,360Gr. and 370Gr. I guess the biggest thing is they fly great with 85Gr. and 75Gr. Heads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers but I guess I should have put my question a different way. I shoot a 62# victory at 29" and I am trying to pick new shafts for hunting. According to the easton shaft selector I can pick from 2512superslam weighing 299 grains all the way to gold tip xt hunters at 237.8grains what combo with broadhead weight would be better? Thanks::darkbeer:

·
Registered
702 Posts
personally, I would pick whatever shaft you want to shoot, then bare shaft test them to determine what head weight and shaft length you need. I would recomend you start around a .400 spine with a 125 to 100gr head, depending on length you cut the shaft too. If you are a right handed shooter using a release, then if your bare shafts hit left, you are too weak in spine. If they hit right, to are too stiff. By cutting the shaft shorter, you increase the spine. Increasing the head weight will weaken the spine while lighter heads increase the spine. My experience has shown that a properly spined arrow to your bow is THE key to proper broadhead flight. If you have questions, I know that this has been discussed on AT before, and I suggest the search to find further details. Other wise, I am sure we can walk you through the steps.
Dan

Also, what is the target weight you want for your arrows?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinking between 350 and 400 is this enough arrow to hunt deer with or should i be looking at something different. I was leaning toward the thunderhead either 100 or 85. all i am really looking for is an effective combo at 65# and under. Thanks

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
2nd time around said:
i was thinking between 350 and 400 is this enough arrow to hunt deer with or should i be looking at something different. I was leaning toward the thunderhead either 100 or 85. all i am really looking for is an effective combo at 65# and under. Thanks

What type of arrow shafts are you using? And how are they flecthed, and what length? The weight of your broadhead should be chosen to give your arrow ideal spine, which will give you the most best accuracy.

And it doesn't matter how many lbs you shoot, or how much your arrow weighs if you hit the shoulder just right....it's not going to make a difference in penetration.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but thats my point i can choose lots of different shafts 2512superslams 299 grains 400 fmj287 acslim 281 grains beman hunter elite 270 grain goldtip xt hunter 237.8 grain how do i choose ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gold tip has an arrow building calulator that could help some. I tend to perfer the GTs, but that is not to say anything is wrong with your other options. I think a GT 55-75 cut to around 28-28.5 with a 125gr head would be a good place to start with your setup, although a 100gr head may spine well. I am not real familuar with your bow/cam so I cant comment on how hard or soft it is. The GT with a 125 head will be in 400gr area and with a 100gr head will be in the 385gr area.
Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts