Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new hoyt razortec about a month ago. I absolutely love it! Have been shooting it ever since using ACC 3-39/440 with Thunderhead 125 brodheaeds.
Up in till yesterday I have been shooting BH and Filed Points in the same spot. (actual where I am aming) Now the 2 arrows with brodheads shoot 5-6 inches to the right and the field points are still deadly. Any ideas?

I have done nothing new exept a tiny little plastic clip for my quiver. I know that I should try shooting without it and see. But my arms are tired. :) Maybe time for those mechanicals.....

Loren

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Maybe you are torqueing your wrist or tilting the bow! How well is the bow tuned..that will do it to! Switch B-heads and field tips around to see if it is consistant with all arrows!

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Could it be the head alignment has changed from impact force? Or has a blade been bent or tweaked from being pulled from target?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brodhead still is lined up the same. Blade to vanes. Just weird.
I shoot four arrows with 2 fp hitting bulls and the 2 BH hitting the same spot.
I admit have I not changed the brodhead to the other two arrows.
Maybe the culprit but.....

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
"But my arms are tired. Maybe time for those mechanicals....."

Could be that your form is degrading and you are starting to fall apart. Any change in your form will be amplified when shooting broadheads.

Give yourself a rest, shoot tomorrow, and see where they go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BowhunterNJ

Thats what I thought the other night. Soooo I started fresh tonight with brodheads first... Still same thing. I feel the bow is shooting ok because I can drill the FP everytime.
Form I have great form. :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I have done nothing new exept a tiny little plastic clip for my quiver

What is this plastic clip? Is it causing any contact anywhere with your bowstring and/or arrow?

Has anything else changed? Leave your bow in a hot car for the day? Change draw weight? Drop an arrow? Have a buddy rotate your nocks on you? :)

Check out your equipment. Try putting the BHs on the arrows that are grouping well with FPs and see if they are still flying 5-6" off.

Something definitely changed. If you were shooting every day, grouping FPs and BHs together and then suddenly BHs are off that much...something is wrong with your bow, your arrows, or both. (Assuming you have good form! :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well it could be a number of things. Something may have moved changing the tune of your bow, nock point slip, arrow rest moving etc. It could also be your arrows. You said "the two broadhead tipped arrows". maybe those have become damaged? it has happend to me. I would re-check the tune by shooting through paper and then check your arrows to make sure they are fine. something has happend, and now it will be a puzzle to find out what. If it was a brand new bow and you tuned it before a "break in period" you cable and string may have "creeped" enough to cuase the problem. Let us know how it turns out.

·
74,535 Posts
Place arrow in something

Spin the arrow where you can watch the very end tip and see if it spins without making a circle. Very inportant in broadhead flight.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
You bought the bow a month ago. Could be the string or cables have settled some.

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I have a similar problem - BH Shooting right of the FP 3-4 inches even with 2 diff kinds of BH.

Shooting with a Mathews Legacy at 68#, 31" carbon epic 340, 125Gr Muzzy's, and razor back 5's (125 Gr Field Tips). QT 2000RG Dropaway Rest.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check your poundage on your bow. If it increased any due to string lengthening you might have an underspined arrow now?
You would notice the spine problem more with braodheads than with field points.
Just a thought...most everything else has been covered.

Lane

·
Registered
111 Posts
String and Cable Stretch

Not an expert on this but I think that your stirng and cable have stretched and have brought the bow out of tune. Check all the measurements like ATA, brace height and see if they are still close to manufactures specs. Then try and paper tune the bow to see if you can still shoot close to perfect bullet holes. String stretch is a major culprit to issues like this in my opinion. Hope this helps

Rob M

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Yeah - String/cable stretch...that's a possible. Maybe check int it later. And the Draw wt measures 68#. But.....

OK. COOL! I got that confounded Easton Tuning Guide and read through it last night. After I got off work today, I started with the nock point and first adjusted it to minimize wobble. It was very easy to find the smooth point. Then I went all over the map with the rest. Left and right. Where I found was the LEAST diff between 6 FP arrows and 6 BH arrows was with the rest moved as far to the right as possible. Funny thing was, the paper tuning test indicated the same thing.

Now here's something interesting...In the 6 BH arrows group, 3 are 3blade muzzy's, and 3 are 5 blade razor backs. At 40 yards they group JUST AS GOOD AS THE FP ARROWS, only they average 2" to 3" 130 degrees (right and down) from the FP. Both groups about 5-6" dia. I did this several times. At 30 yds it's about 1.5-2" diff.

I'm calling it good for now. Opening day is tommorrow out here in Oregon (pronounced ORYGUN for all you folks who keep saying OREE-GONE). I'm gunna go git me sum venison! Thanks for all the advice everyone. When I get some time I'll tell y'all about my experience between BowTech and Mathews. Later!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts