Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've posted picture of my hunting truck before, and just this last week I had a bad day with her....Got hit and ended up laying on my drivers side :thumbs_do it was one terrible ride.

I'm going to be getting it repaired in Minnesota at the Waldoch dealer, any of you guys know anything about (spelling??) Wreck Brothers Auto? I know that's who does Waldochs paint jobs, and just looking for some info!

Thanks guys

Attachments

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone was okay, banged up a little bit, and more upset about my truck then anything. Didn't think a Ford Probe would ever flip my truck, but I guess that's the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Man that sucks, im glad everyone was alright hope you get her back on the road soon

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Man, you got 'torpedoed' . What was her name that ran the traffic control device.......? :shade:

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised that they didn't consider it totaled, whole driver side needs to be repaired, all new wheels and tires...leaf springs and hangers are bent over about an inch. And it's all custom paint, no decals there...:angry: hasn't been to fun

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Don't know about the laws there but here in TN if it reaches 75% of the value then they have to total it. I have a body shop here, if somebody is needing the work they will cut their labor to keep the job. Just make sure they don't try to put any of that aftermarket sheetmetal or other pieces on it. They say they are just as good as OEM, but they are not!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
make sure you tell them you dont want any junk yard speacials for new doors or anything. you want all new parts not used. know alot of shops that do that to make more money

Lardy

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Well that sucks, but glad your ok...It's getting harder & harder to get one totaled after a wreck...Insurance companies used to total everything but I think it started getting in their pockets to much so now they'd rather you fix them.
Aftermarket parts arent as bad as you guys are making them out to be...You might have to tweak on them a little bit but you can get the gaps to match up on them with a little work. Now if I was building a full on show vehicle I'd used OEM parts because at car shows they really look at the gaps, but for a truck your driving all the time the normal person would never know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't know about the laws there but here in TN if it reaches 75% of the value then they have to total it. I have a body shop here, if somebody is needing the work they will cut their labor to keep the job. Just make sure they don't try to put any of that aftermarket sheetmetal or other pieces on it. They say they are just as good as OEM, but they are not!!
Pretty much the only sheetmetal that isn't aftermarket used in the collision industry anymore is only the sheetmetal that they don't make aftermarket. That's not necessarily a bad thing though either, as long as you go to a good shop. The difference is, and why people think "aftermarket" is bad, is that bad/shady shops think it's a paint it and bolt it on and out the door thing. Anyone that's done any real bodywork will tell you that it takes alot of work, fitting, adjustment, even modification to get the part to fit correctly. That all comes before they prep, paint the jambs, and then final assemble it for final paint. Alot of shops have guys working on what is essentially commission.. if you can make a $1k sale in 3 hours vs 5 or 6 hours and start working on another $1k deal waiting for you, it gives you alot of incentive to cut corners and do shady work. I went to college for collision while working at a body shop, and then worked full time in a quality body shop for another 2 years. I can't tell you how many times I saw CRAP body work, out of every single other (3) body shop in town. We rarely used OEM parts, usually aftermarket, sometimes used parts. I guarantee only a seasoned bodyman would be able to tell the vehicle was repaired, if he was looking very closely. Bottom line, you just need to find a very good shop. Here's a tip, they usually aren't at a dealership, and if there hasn't been hail in your area lately they'll be busier than the other shops. If you have a good insurance agent, call them and ask what their "preferred" shop is, or if they can tell you where most of the people request to take their vehicle if they request other than the "preferred" shop.

BTW, if it was the other guys fault (or yours for that matter), it's gonna be pretty much impossible to get their insurance to put OEM parts on it. Trust me, I tried it when an OBVIOUSLY drunk driver had backed into my GF's car in the middle of the night and luckily left a note, not that I wouldn't have figured it out since it was at the end of said drunkys driveway. We wanted to get it totalled and buy it back for me to fix, since it was only worth $2500 or less anyway and needed a new rear door, quarter panel work and paint on roof, quarter, rear and front door. I even had the shop I worked for fighting for me, and they are the PREFFERED shop for 2 big insurance companies. Bottom line, find a good shop, and you won't know what parts are on it. Good luck!

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
This is my goal. Somebody to total out my 95 Dodge diesel with 310k miles on it. I have seen some smokin deals on newer Dodges with a lot less miles. All I need is one well insured senior citizen in a Buick, shouldnt be too hard to find in Az, right?

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I'd just fix the mirror and drive on.:smile: That way I wouldn't have to worry about mountain pinstriping or driving around boulders.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Be glad it's not totaled...

Trust me, be glad that it was not considered totaled. Insurance will screw you. You should have seen the deductions they take from the totaled value..."soiled carpets--minus $150"---Well no duh they're soiled, a car smashed into me and S#*@ flew everywhere!!! Despite hours on the phone over this they didn't budge...had to accept their settlement because needed a car in a bad way. Plus, they didn't compensate me for a new engine I had just had put in the car. Wrecks are bad news for everyone involved...

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, I would fix just the mirror but I can't even open my door! ha I'd have to leave the window down and Nascar style to get into it. But in all reality I'm glad it wasn't totaled. with $17,000 in damage I would have thought it would have been though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts