Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not crossbow related. But we tend to stray from time to time :).
It was the next to last doe season yesterday we have another end of the month 3 days i think. I might shoot another or 2 :) and top off the freezer. Might even break out the old 320.

But i had to try out the new AR. It has a Rock River lower with a 2 stage match trigger. The Upper has a Shilen 20" barrel with matching bolt. Its a pretty good shooter.
I loaded up some barnes Tac x 62gr bullets over some varget and shot this doe.

She was quartering away the hole you see is the exit. Let me tell you what the 223 flat put a hurting on this deer. She mule kicked and landed on her bisket and plowed for about 40 yds down hill. Both shoulders were like rags busted up as bad as i have ever see.

Anyway just thought i would share.

·
Jesus Follower
16,230 Posts
Very cool! I have been thinking about getting an AR.

I just moved to Missouri and rifles are legal to deer hunt with down here. Instead of getting a standard deer rifle I was considering getting an AR. Something I could have fun at the range with, and something I could deer hunt with if I wanted.

I was concerned .223 wouldn't be good for deer though. After seeing this pic.....looks like the .223 did just fine. :)

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just like anything else shot placement and IMO don't use varmint bullets. I was impressed with what the Barnes bullet did. This is my first AR i got it to yote hunt with and hog hunt some.

They're a blast to shoot. I'm not into burning up a barrel but still there fun. I might upgrade the scope to my 4.5x14x50 the 2x7 just ain't getting it :).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Very cool! I have been thinking about getting an AR.

I just moved to Missouri and rifles are legal to deer hunt with down here. Instead of getting a standard deer rifle I was considering getting an AR. Something I could have fun at the range with, and something I could deer hunt with if I wanted.

I was concerned .223 wouldn't be good for deer though. After seeing this pic.....looks like the .223 did just fine. :)
Clint, the AR is a great gun to play around with and accessorize to your likings. I will agree with R2 on using it for yotes, its a blast except I've been known to heat the barrel up a little LoL... Its also a good gun to have around if SHTF, I would recommend you get the .223-5.56

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just ordered myself a Thunderbeast 30p-1 last night. Probably won't get it for about 5 months but I am looking forward to some suppressed shooting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just ordered myself a Thunderbeast 30p-1 last night. Probably won't get it for about 5 months but I am looking forward to some suppressed shooting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
I sure luv that sweet ping sound when one of these are shot.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Nice doe, haven't seen a lot of you on here lately, guess you been busy killing deer :) Congrats!

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, Just been messing around Pin. I haven't had a bow in my hand for a month i bet. I need to test out those Shuttle T's on a deer.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Rt nice ar. The 223 is way under rated for deer. Its all about shot placement and proper bullet use.

If I didnt live in NJ I would be using my Larue tactical 18"stealth AR for some deer also.

Cant wait to get out of NJ.

Brian

·
Huntoholic
10,772 Posts
Nice shot rt, deer rely don't take a lot to put one down when you take out the boilers!! Nice doe!!!:thumbs_up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts