Archery Talk Forum banner

Broken arrow. (Urgent)

995 18
My bow was being bad today and almost split one of my arrows. (Not a Robinhood type split) You see, about one inch in front of my fletching (five inch fletch) there was a crack maybe six inches long. That small crack broke at the end and now my arrow is hanging something like this \ <fletching
\
\
|
|
| <point

I have filled the break with, haha, fletch tite cement and hope it holds. Will it? And if so, will it be shootable? If not, what can I use to fix it or is it just a broken arrow that I have to throw away.

I didn't make it.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
38,292 Posts
I think you are playing with fire. It is damaged and more likely to shatter under acceleration. If an arrow blows on release it can send wood or carbon splinters right through your bow hand. Why are you trying to save this broken arrow?

· Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are playing with fire. It is damaged and more likely to shatter under acceleration. If an arrow blows on release it can send wood or carbon splinters right through your bow hand. Why are you trying to save this broken arrow?
money's a bit tight at the moment but I think you're right. I'll just get rid of it. Thanks guys. :wink:

· Registered
46 Posts
Yeah man toss that one.I was shooting compound bow last year one blew aprt comeing outa the bow.I checked em but must have missed a small crack it nearly killed me.I now have a nasty 3 inch scare on my bow arm at the wrist.Toss it and forget it.

· Registered
571 Posts
A damaged or cracked wooden or carbon arrow is dangerous and should never be shot again! They are a danger to you and others!

Salvage usable parts like the vanes/feathers, nock, and point, then throw it away. Don't keep damaged arrows together with good ones, so no one will mistakenly use the damaged one!

The only reparable damage on an arrow is:
lost vanes/feathers
lost point
broken nock
bent aluminum shaft

· Registered
1,215 Posts
There was a series of posts on here a couple of weeks ago about people shooting damaged arrows and some graphic pics were posted showing the results. I did this once as a kid and I still have a scar on my hand where the arrow went in at the base of my thumb and came out the palm of my hand. I'm lucky I have full use of my hand. It is absolutely insane to even contemplate this after being told this. It isn't worth the use of your hand to salvage an arrow (which by the way CANNOT be salvaged).

· Registered
394 Posts

· Registered
76,880 Posts
My bow was being bad today and almost split one of my arrows. (Not a Robinhood type split) You see, about one inch in front of my fletching (five inch fletch) there was a crack maybe six inches long. That small crack broke at the end and now my arrow is hanging something like this \ <fletching
\
\
|
|
| <point

I have filled the break with, haha, fletch tite cement and hope it holds. Will it? And if so, will it be shootable? If not, what can I use to fix it or is it just a broken arrow that I have to throw away.

I didn't make it.
At the risk of sounding flippant and sarcastic (a reason I was banned from another site), I'm perplexed that you'd even pose the question in the manner that you did, but if you're ACTUALLY looking for an excuse for a new bow and probably to a lesser extent a bionic arm (with the crack at the rear... further forward down the shaft by just two or three inches would easily have you IMPALING YOUR ARM WITH THE REAR OF THE SHAFT) then I'd suggest a quality videographer present to document for posterity what your old bow looked like and maybe too your forarm before the new tatoo to cover the stitches.... :)

Aloha... :cool: :beer:

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Fast acceleration (AKA shooting an arrow) will break it. Trust me. If any arrow is cracked, or you think it just might be cracked break it in half and make sure no one else can shoot it.....not worth the risk.

· Registered
76,880 Posts
Well not to be sorry for just being new

Well sorry! I'm new to the sport.
We all are still new to the changes in archery ourselves... you never get to really be "old" in this sport... Except may Viper.... :grin: I guess that with this toothache I've been dealing with for the last three days maybe made my response a little curt... which I tried to disclaim right up front... but that being said...

Everyone here had the right remedy....

I've two arrows in my life explode on me... one of them lodged itself into the eve of m garage... thankfully... and the other a carbon, split into a dozen strips... impressive... In both cases, the bow failed as well, one a recurve... sorta expected, the other a martin longbow which truly did surprise me having such a thick limb... by comparison.

Dangerous practice that... shooting a damaged arrow.

Much Aloha... :cool: :beer:

· Registered
551 Posts
I had something similiar happen when I was just starting. Wood arrow with unnoticed crack + 22lb static recurve = middle 12 inches of the arrow disintegrating into toothpicks. I won't tell you what my arm outside of the armguard looks like. Needless to say I purchased an over the elbow armguard shortly afterward.

Chalk it up to inexperince, but at least you asked prior to getting scrapped up, and that's always a good thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.