Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently i have a trailcamera up in my section of hunting grounds and i have about 20 pictures of a broken horn spike, it looks broken but im not sure if its broken or a birth defect, the deer isnt very big body wise either due to i can see his ribs in the picture, the question is , should we try to cull this buck so he doesnt pollute the gene pool. we have a couple bucks on film that have GREAT potential so what should i do?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'd leave him just in case. He may be a fawn that grew spikes. You'd have to get a look at him in person to tell, but if he's as small and weak looking as you say, I doubt he'll be doing much breeding anyway. I've seen plenty of deer with broken antlers.

Its going to have to be a call you make in the woods, or between your other hunters based on the pics.

Bo

·
Registered
441 Posts
i'd leave him--especially since he is a young deer---i bet the broken antler is an injury--give him another year--if he is still spike next year--then i'd take him.

He probably won't do much if any breeding this year--the big ones will keep him away when those girls go in estrus.

todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts