Archery Talk Forum banner

What bows have you broken limbs on??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I consider a Hoyt Trykon to be my new bow in the spring, I got to wondering about broken limbs since I've heard so many Matthews and Bowtech busted limbs, I don't want to be in that predicament, and I've also heard that parallel liimb bows are worse about breaking limbs than more traditional bows, so who's broken a limb, and on what, and what poundage were you drawing???

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot Browning!!! Sorry, and that's the one that busted on me. I busted a limb in late Sept. several years ago, and they actually had the bow's riser re-fitted, new limbs and wheels, and new cables then re-installed my silenced string and shipped it back to me with $7 and change check for the shipping it cost me to send it to them. Good Customer Service, but I don't want to have to use anyone's customer service if I don't need to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had a Limb on A Bowtech split. Not bashing them at all the Factory took care of it. Shoots better now than ever........It was a 2001 Pro 38 ..I think all of them have limb issues from one time to another...

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LEP said:
I had a Limb on A Bowtech split. Not bashing them at all the Factory took care of it. Shoots better now than ever........It was a 2001 Pro 38 ..I think all of them have limb issues from one time to another...
Lep,
I've heard that Bowtech has excellent customer service from several guys, I think that is part of what makes me nervous about buying a new parallel limb bow. I've also heard Matthews customer service is less than great from a few.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a limb crack on my bowtech liberty. Got it fixed and still love shooting the bow. It is a 2004 bowtech liberty I was shooting 70 pounds.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
As I consider a Hoyt Trykon to be my new bow in the spring, I got to wondering about broken limbs since I've heard so many Matthews and Bowtech busted limbs, I don't want to be in that predicament
I haven't heard hardly any stories of Mathews limbs busting. :confused:

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
Here is my first problem. There are a lot of bow companies that put tons of work into riser design, cam/wheel design, but not a lot into limb design, which, in my mind is extremely important. I don't know anything about mathews bows, but I know a lot about Hoyt, and a little about Bowtech. Bowtechs are good, smooth bows, that are very fast. Their limbs, however, are solid chunks of fiberglass, machined to their shape, that makes me nervous, especially with the speeds they're shooting. I know that Hoyt has put a lot of technology into their limbs, the USD (uniform stress distribution) gives me piece of mind that the limbs don't have a weak link. This is not, of course, to bash any company, just stating my opinion. Look at construction, laminated beams are always chosen to hold heavy loads over regular beams. Laminated is always stronger.

Here is some interesting information about Hoyt Limbs. This is biased information of course, but they do a good job of explaining a lot of the technical info/engineering that goes into their bow.

http://www.hoyt.com/news/articles.tpl?Display=Library

http://www.hoyt.com/technical/technologies.tpl

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Had a 1980 Jennings ArrowStar that I had a limb delaminate on as I hit peak-weight during the draw.....bow was only 3 years old when she blew.....

Broke my heart.....I loved the way that bow drew and shot! :sad:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
2004 Bowtech Mighty Might VFT 70lb draw. Top limb split right down the middle.

Reflex Xpress single cam 70lb draw. Had a sliver come up on the edge of one of the limbs. A friend of my brothers still has this bow and is still shooting it. The sliver was just cut off and super glue applied where it was and its still holding up.

·
Rob Beaulieu
4,301 Posts
bow

I have a trycon xl no problems to speek of nice shooter just make sure you buy your draw lenth. Cams are a few $$ good luck.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It was a week before the season last year and I was out back practicing. I came to full draw and CRACK, so I let down and there is a huge splinter sticking straight out of the lower limb.:eek: Martin guy's fixed me right up. It was awesome.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
sucks to break a limb. really sucks to break two at once and get it fixed shoot three arrows and the bottom limb splinters. so i sold it and the guy who bought it has had no problems shooting a lighter set up and he out shot me at a 3d. man i got luck just dont no what kind.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TTT, to gather a few more votes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have not really heard much of anything about a mathews bow busting limbs, The part I like about them is they are solid, the split limbs kind of scare me, they dont look as strong to me, but thats just opinion. I am pretty sure if you take the width and weight in comparison the solid limb is actually narrower than the two splits put together, plus it is lighter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts