Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. What is the little rope for on some back tension style releases and why do some of them not have the rope? As you can tell, I've never shot one before but I was looking to buy one and try it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That's in case you don't want to shoot it off of a d-loop. Most hinge style releases actually go off more consistently if you use the rope around the string instead of a loop.

That rope is not just on BT releases though, you'll see a lot of the Carter releases have a rope option too and all the Stans do. Call me old school but I still prefer the rope around the string rather than a loop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The rope is for shooting right off of the string (if you're not using a D-Loop), OR it could be used to lengthen the span to your anchor.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. So if the release has the rope do you have to use it or can you just take it off and use it without? Do you just wrap the rope around the string and hook it on the other side?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have D-Loop on your bow, than you don't HAVE to use it (but you can). If you are shooting right off of the string, then you have to use it. This is due to the "twist" that occurs when drawing a BT realease.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. So if the release has the rope do you have to use it or can you just take it off and use it without? Do you just wrap the rope around the string and hook it on the other side?

number 1 yes you can take it off and hook the hook on a D loop

number 2 yes. but you need a knock point above the arrow and to prevent knock pinch I have one under the arrow as well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't that kind of a pain in the butt to have to loop the rope around the string every time you go to shoot?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Isn't that kind of a pain in the butt to have to loop the rope around the string every time you go to shoot?
Piece of cake once you learn your own method of doing it. I can probably have my release loaded in just about the same amount of time the loop shooters can.

I've only been doing it for 20+ years though :wink:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the info. I think that I am going to give one a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts