Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my bow but I've been within 5' of it when it blew up the first time and again when it almost did yesterday. The first time it was on the TAC sitka course at snowbird a couple seasons back. The owner nocked an arrow, drew and released. at that point both sets of limbs blew up, both cams were folded over and the string was severed. BT claimed it was a dry fire and offered to split the warranty cost with the owner. the deal sucked but was better than getting nothing. fast forward to yesterday...we're shooting distance at the range when he draws back. during the draw cycle it sounded like a 22 short went off. he was able to let down but the result was the lower right limb cracking the length of the limb and nearly through at both ends.

I'll add pics soon.

any way to keep these things from breaking? i thought the warranty limbs were supposed to be fixed.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A local Bowtech dealer has replaced several of the original RPM 360 limbs with the new BT inhouse limbs. No reoccurring limb issues since doing so.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Don't think the new in-house limbs were available a couple seasons ago...

·
Ice Cold
11,924 Posts
The RPMs had limb issues, no denying that. The first one definitely does sound like a dry fire though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ugh, I get chills each time I see "Bowtech" and "Limb breaking" in the same sentence.

I just purchased a BT Mag and have less than 200 shots through it, this makes me nervous.

I also keep hearing the same BS about dry firing, and blaming the end user. Even my local pro shop warned me about BT customer service blaming me, if I should ever have a problem with my bow.

I hope you find a resolution safely and quickly!

Good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RPMs had limb issues, no denying that. The first one definitely does sound like a dry fire though.

it's possible that the nock broke but there was part of an arrow down range that appeared to be his with an intact nock.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts

No doubt about that, but ironically I dry fired mine 3 times [in one session no less- it was a bad day for blind archery], and still didn't blow the limbs. Went ahead and ordered the new in-house since I was replacing cams anyway.

I'm of the personal opinion [and I know some will never agree] that some blow ups are the limb quality, and some are user error, either shot, maintenance, or set up, and unfortunately the line between the masses of "it's the limbs/it's the shooter" is so rigid we'll often never know in individual instances.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Start shooting heavy arrows - helps the limbs to absorb the energy at the shot.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This is not my bow but I've been within 5' of it when it blew up the first time and again when it almost did yesterday. The first time it was on the TAC sitka course at snowbird a couple seasons back. The owner nocked an arrow, drew and released. at that point both sets of limbs blew up, both cams were folded over and the string was severed. BT claimed it was a dry fire and offered to split the warranty cost with the owner. the deal sucked but was better than getting nothing. fast forward to yesterday...we're shooting distance at the range when he draws back. during the draw cycle it sounded like a 22 short went off. he was able to let down but the result was the lower right limb cracking the length of the limb and nearly through at both ends.

I'll add pics soon.

any way to keep these things from breaking? i thought the warranty limbs were supposed to be fixed.
If the first limb failure happened 2 years ago then he may not have gotten the new "in house limbs". 2 years ago they were putting them on the Reign series and may have been still shipping old limbs for other model such as the 360.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts