Archery Talk Forum banner

Buck Called Iowa Giant

3K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  2 Ultras 
#1 ·
This was a buck my buddy named and ended shooting. We started chasing him in September when we picked up this new spot and he started showing up camera and quit often until the camera died in mid oct. Between September and November we only hunted this spot 4 times as we were bouncing around to much between all our spots.

We started out the day helping a different friend down in virginia track a buck he had shot the night before with no luck. Tracked it for about 400 yards on spotty blood and jumped him out of his bed. After that we went back over the river to go hunt the ghetto. We got in the stand around 11 tried some grunting and rattling with no luck. About 2 when your fighting of that mid day nap because the warm sun lights hitting you. I look across the hollar and see this limb on a beech tree bouncing. I'm thinking to myself aww it's just squirrels. When I seen the glare of the sun off a deers antlers. Start yelling at my buddy there a buck over there grunt.
He grunted at him twice and he came in on a string to 15 yards. My buddy made a great shot and the buck went down in 50 yards. First time iv ever seen a deer get hit and have blood spray out on impact.

First hunt I'd filmed with my T5I sucked that I had a branch in the way of the camera when he shot but hey what are you gunna do. Deer scored low 130s you hear in the video I completely over estimated the rack. I thought this deer was upper 140s maybe 150. I knew this deers body was small but didn't realize how small it was until walking up on him. Didn't weigh it but I would get it was only 120-130 lbs. It's body was weird because if how short his legs were and how small it's hoof was. Like it had dwarf genetics. Anyways here's the video hope y'all enjoy. Deer hunting Hunting Deer Trophy hunting White-tailed deer
Woodland Nature reserve Forest Tree Natural environment

http://youtu.be/03Ci78MeBrQ

See less See more
#10 ·
Very nice! Looks like he had been shot at before, went all the way to the ground trying to duck! Suggestion, drop the music, it was too loud and detracted from the hunt. Other than that, great stuff.

#17 ·
He could have been this is an urban spot we have only a house with 100 yards of woods that backs up to a larger woods owned by a power company. There 3 guys that just park one street over and just walk in the woods to hunt and with guns. One of the issues of hunting in the ghetto

You think music should be deleted al together or just turned down?

#12 ·
Great buck. Congrats.

Two things...First. That deer weighs more than 120lbs. Not a huge deer, but more than what you think. I posted a pic of a 190lb Va deer I killed in Nov in the Virginia Rut thread. Check that out.

Second. A "holler" is just a hollow in the mountains. A hollow area amongst the ridges.

#20 ·
Just me but I'd rather see the hunt. Hearing the deer walk in and the shot, priceless. Your call though, do what you enjoy. I'd be dubbing in the Hallelujah Chorus if I got one like that! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.