Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planted it here in central VA. Came up nice... and I have less deer eating in my field than I ever did with clover. I never see deer in daylight hours and I even cut some timber close to the field and left it on the ground to create some extra bedding area to no avail. A friend talked me into planting it but i'm thinking i'm going to kill it and re- plant clover for next year. Anyone have any luck with this stuff? Do you think it is superior to other products?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Seems like guys complain about BFO the first year they plant it, and then the deer fall in love with it the 2nd year. I wouldn't give up on it quite yet. I know we had that problem with turnips.

t

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Our deer here in west-central IL really seem to like it. They have grazed some spots in our plot very heavily. I'm anxious to see how much snow they will paw through to get to it once we get a few inches of powder over it.

·
Registered
19,682 Posts
I used it also and didn't get the response I wanted,So i mixed it with rackmaster supreme and man o man it brought deer and turkey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im not an expert but it seems to give off like turnips. Bad first year and then they love it ..:confused: gl man

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,828 Posts
Needs frost

I use it avery year since it doesnt re seed. It needs a frost and the plant turns sweet to the deer. I have had very good luck over the past 10 yrs planting it and have watched deer literally walk past corn and clover to eat it. Dont give up on it. They dont call it the harvest plot for nothing I promise. Just give em a chance to get use to it. It really needs a frost, it is the best late winter thing you can plant. IMO!!!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I agree with what several of you guys are saying.... you really need to give deer a year or two to get used to the plant. I know I've heard MANY folks report the same thing about Brassicas... some of them take 3 or 4 years and then all of a sudden the deer just go crazy for it!

I know one thing.... right now, the BFO in our plot is the ONLY thing green on our property right now. It looks pretty cool to look out across the dead late season woods and still see this golf course green plot!

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I planted the buck forage oats one year here in northwestern north carolina. The deer here did'nt hit it much. I was disappointed after all the hype i had heard. Maybe I should have tried it another year. I have since been planting 1 acre of corn each year. I leave it standing they hit it hard in late nov and dec. I may give the oats another try.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is green and pretty. We just started getting hard frosts so maybe things will shape up.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
On qdma one of the guys that has been planting plots for years actually did a test to see if BFO was better than regular seed oats and the deer preferred the regular seed oats over the BFO. He planted them side by side and monitored the browse of each plot. I used Bob oats this year and the deer loved them BFO is overrated in my opinion. I like to plant a mixture of Oats, winter peas, and winter rye. That way the deer can browse on all in the same plot and each plant peaks and a different time in the fall allowing your deer to continually want to use that plot.

·
The dude abides
1,066 Posts
We just put it in one plot this year and haven't had a result either way I don't think. If you ever chew on a piece after the frost it is extremely sweet, so I could see why they would eat it. I think we'll try it next year too. It's an important plot for us since it's in the middle of the property.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts