Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit my first buck tonight at 20 yards and tracked it about 80 yards before i came across were he laid down so I backed out and will go out first thing tomorrow. I know there's quite a few of these threads but i just wanna know what the chances of finding him are with people who have experience with my particular situation.

It was about 5 minutes before the end of legal shooting light and I didn't see were the arrow hit but i sure heard it! It was a loud whack and he did a mule kick, he took off at a decent trot and his tail was down. I was in a ground blind and gave him 45 minutes before a took up the trail. About 35 yards up I found my arrow with the first 18 inches or so covered in fat and zero blood but then the rest of the arrow bright red. It smelled exactly like deer fat even on the part with the blood. The bloodtrail itself was minimal at best, without snow there's no way I would have found his bed.

I know there's someone on AT that has been in a similar situation so please help me out!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Sounds to me like a briskets shot or a high shot to me, but if he laid down that quick he is hurt. You made the right descision backing out, go get back after him in the morning and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My guess would be a low brisket shot. Let us know if you come up with anything.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Freezing temps and snow!! you should find him tomorrow, hopefully you didn't put him on his death run and he'll bed down again!! Good luck sleeping tonight!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for making me feel a little better guys and yeah... its going to be a long night:thumbs_do

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I know it sounds cory, but stay positive. If you go in thinking your going to find him I believe you stand a much better chance. Stay determined and be patient. Good luck, and hope to see some pics..

·
Registered
554 Posts
You did the right thing backing out, and if he bedded that quick, he is hurting pretty bad... looking forward to seeing the pics tomorrow!!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Find him tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
the couple of deer ive shot from the ground left minimal blood. as the others said, if he laid down once already he is hurt good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found him around 11 this morning after a half hour search finding exactly 3 spots of blood. He traveled over 300 more yards after i initially kicked him up. Me and a buddy more or less got lucky as this is a very large chunk of woods and we were just following the main trail and found him laying in an open area.

My guess is that he was dead for about 3 hours as he wasn't all that cold when i quartered him up. I was using the standard slick tricks and they got the job done even on a marginal shot that clipped the liver.

Sorry there's no pics I forgot the digital camera, only have cell pics that i can't even upload onto the computer. He was a 4x4 that had two broken points, doesn't matter, he's my first and I'm proud.:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good work!....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Found him around 11 this morning after a half hour search finding exactly 3 spots of blood. He traveled over 300 more yards after i initially kicked him up. Me and a buddy more or less got lucky as this is a very large chunk of woods and we were just following the main trail and found him laying in an open area.

My guess is that he was dead for about 3 hours as he wasn't all that cold when i quartered him up. I was using the standard slick tricks and they got the job done even on a marginal shot that clipped the liver.

Sorry there's no pics I forgot the digital camera, only have cell pics that i can't even upload onto the computer. He was a 4x4 that had two broken points, doesn't matter, he's my first and I'm proud.:D

Way to go man.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Congrats and great job on the recovery ..Randy

·
Yippiee ki-yay
3,602 Posts
Congrats to you!!

Yeeee Hawwwww, there's only one first and you my friend, have a story to tell about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts