Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are alone. No help. What is your preferred method for getting a large deer into the back of your truck??

• Game hoist that pivots
  • Ramp with a winch
  • Viking solution L-E- Vator
  • Stand on tailgate & deadlift deer into truck
  • Do you use a cart or sled to get the deer to your truck?
For years, I tied a rope around the deer's neck, squatted while on the tailgate and deadlifted the deer up into the truck. I'm in my mid-fifties now. I should use a new method.

What is YOUR preferred method? Post pics of your setup if you can.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Dang sideways pic!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
normally I grab ahold of the antlers and just muscle it up into the bed. The tailgate on my new truck is over waist high and I barely go the deer in it by myself last fall so I need to do something different this year. I'm thinking of using my ATV ramps and sliding him up those or maybe using a sheet of plywood as a ramp.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to do the deadlift technique. Tie a strap around front legs and another around the rear. Get legs vertical while standing in the truck and get as low a grip as you can manage. Stand up then step back. Standing will usually get body of deer level to tailgate and the step back slides them the rest of the way. Did this until having a couple of close calls with frost in the truck bed causing some bad slip and falls which left me staring at the pointy end of the deer. I’ve used a jet sled a few times which works well. Tie the deer into the sled. Place on end on the tailgate, lift the other and slide them in. Doesn’t work as well if your tailgate is pretty high. Eventually upgraded to a hme lift/winch deal. Works great but can be a chore to store and take along on trips.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Boweng: Would it work better if you put the strap around the head of the deer instead of the hind legs. Then you would have most of the body and the body weight above the tail gate. The legs and hind quarters weigh a lot less then the head and chest.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
When I had two legs, I'd tie a rope to the antlers (hind legs of a doe), climb up into the bed and physically drag the deer up into the bed. Now that I'm an amputee, I call for help.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Mine are almost always quartered on my pack, so I toss them in game bag at a time

if I kill one close to a logging road, and it’s 2 miles or less I may go back and grab a game cart... from there I improvise, whatever I need to do

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You guys are able to get them near a truck whole? Like roosiebull said, one bag at a time.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
These days I hunt alone that said I shoot a deer a good buck and it took all I had to get it in my truck bed, as others mention brute strength I got the head / antlers on the tail gate jumped up on the trail gate holding on to the antlers and pull till half the deer was on the tail gate then put my heels between the tail gate and bed and used my legs and got it in, now I have a 6 ft piece of plywood. Lay it on the tail gate and lay the deer if it is a good size one on that and do similar as to getting it in as the plywood works well as a ramp! Works for me with a cap on the bed no hoist will work. But I have only take 2 deer that was that big so far......
If you have the will you can get it in! But not sure how many Hunt Alone? I do a lot more these days. I just like to Deer Hunt! Work all year for the time to be out there!!!
LFM

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
  • Ramp hooked to the tail gate with a block and tackle, hooked to the cab end of the truck bed, to pull the carcass up the ramp and into the truck bed. Works well for me as I only weigh 120 lbs soaking wet.
  • Do you use a cart or sled to get the deer to your truck?... Yes, Depending on the terrain I have both options available.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Last year I shot a big doe while hunting by myself. For the first time I struggled loading a deer into the back of the truck. I had to get a ratchet strap around her neck to get it off the ground so I could get some leverage on the back end. This year I want to buy an aluminum cargo carrier to make it a little easier.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
  • Ramp hooked to the tail gate with a block and tackle, hooked to the cab end of the truck bed, to pull the carcass up the ramp and into the truck bed. Works well for me as I only weigh 120 lbs soaking wet.
  • Do you use a cart or sled to get the deer to your truck?... Yes, Depending on the terrain I have both options available.
^^this. Block and tackle near the front of the truck.

Deadlift if it’s a small deer

·
Registered
363 Posts
I keep a 6 foot 2x12 in the truck with a large 8” bolt in one end. I tie the deer head around the board and bolt with my drag rope. You can then pick the head /board up onto the edge is the tailgate. Get the hind end over the top of the bottom of the board and lift it up. The board keeps it all rigid and you slide it right in. I figured this out a few years back after I shot one I couldn’t get in the truck myself and had to call for help. Getting old sucks ....

1 - 20 of 71 Posts