Archery Talk Forum banner

Buck shot with crossbow. Clean pass through

6836 Views 60 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Skeeter 58
Shot an 8 pointer last night 35 yards broadside with my crossbow. He ran about 20 yards and slowed way down while all the other deer took off with their tails up. He had his tail tucked and flickering with his head down. Didn’t find any blood. So I backed out until I can go after work today. What do you think?
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly that deer is either coyote supper or is still alive with a hole in him.
yes, very sad indeed. Didn’t sleep at all lastnight and can’t concentrate here at work. Sick to my stomach all day long. I’ve shot 1 other deer in the guts but recovered it later that day. This one’s is new to me, out of the 100 or so deer I’ve harvested.

· Registered
Isaiah 6:8
4,224 Posts
i killed one a few weeks ago that the arrow didn't hardly have much blood on it, didn't find a blood trail for 20 yards or so but the buck was dead another 40 yards or so from that point. so don't be too upset just yet. give it your best shot and try tracking him later. i think you made the right move by waiting

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,654 Posts
Look at the meat on the fletchings

That's probably a brisket shot. He will probably survive to be hunted another day.

· Registered
3,011 Posts
I've taken plenty of deer with litttle or no blood trail and I've taken plenty with. Give it a good, honest try tonight and hope for the best. They don't always continue in a straight line and will sometimes die in the opposite direction of where you think they might be. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts