Archery Talk Forum banner

Buck shot with crossbow. Clean pass through

6836 Views 60 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Skeeter 58
Shot an 8 pointer last night 35 yards broadside with my crossbow. He ran about 20 yards and slowed way down while all the other deer took off with their tails up. He had his tail tucked and flickering with his head down. Didn’t find any blood. So I backed out until I can go after work today. What do you think?
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
20,536 Posts
Don’t bow hunt in the evenings unless you can look the next morning.
Not trying to be rude but thats bowhunting
I'd never get to bow hunt by what you think. Sry but I'll hunt when I can.
When I work 6 days a week from 2330 till 1530, have 8 hrs off that I'm supposed to sleep but decide to hunt 5 of those hrs I'm going to miss sleep and hunt. O and the 7th day is 10 hrs so I guess I can catch up on sleep. Or I could do as you think and not hunt at all and get plenty of sleep. Hummmm what should I do? I think I'll hunt evenings

· Registered
213 Posts
Just go and look for him. Arrow is not 100% indicator. This September I shot a buck and saw him go down about 30yds away. When I pulled the arrow from the ground, it smelled like guts and it was fatty/greasy. If I did not see him go gown I would have waited 12 hours before looking and he was dead within seconds...
Please keep us updated hopefully with pictures...

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Point 1-- crossbow.
Point 2-- never mentioned angle, or i didnt see it.
Point 3 -- he said his head was hanging, couldve been a neck shot (very lethal).
Its absolutely possible this deer is dead. Its also possible its strutting around in front of OPs camera, just for spite. The brisket is almost always a no win. In my personal experience,,,,never. But thats been once in many yrs. Either way, if youre gonna hunt em, and take the life of an animal, or attempt to. You owe it to that deer to put forth the effort. I dont think anybodys saying not to, but itd be easy to mislead newer hunters who might read this thread, that jumping to conclusions off of just some meat and white hair, makes it ok to walk out with atleast trying. Call it a day of ground and pound. He may very well be laid up licking a wound, and you could possibly get another opprotunity at him. Its the best and most ethical choice. You may be glad you did. Good luck to you.

· Registered
254 Posts
I shot a doe with my Ravin last year and had no blood on the bolt. 5 feet from the bolt was the start of the absolute nastiest blood trail I’ve ever seen in my life. Go back out there optimistic bud! I betcha you find em dead.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Searched for 5 hours after work. Found him about 150 yards away from where I shot him. Just barely nicked his heart. Blood where he bedded down but besides that no blood trail. I knew he was messed up by the way he walked off. Grid search paid off. Happy I waited as long as I did. To all the haters, I’ll have a cold one for you tonight. To everyone else being supportive and lending your insight I greatly appreciate your help. I’m in the process of de-boning. Meat doesn’t seem tainted or foul so I believe we are good in that department too.

· Registered
698 Posts
Searched for 5 hours after work. Found him about 150 yards away from where I shot him. Just barely nicked his heart. Blood where he bedded down but besides that no blood trail. I knew he was messed up by the way he walked off. Grid search paid off. Happy I waited as long as I did. To all the haters, I’ll have a cold one for you tonight. To everyone else being supportive and lending your insight I greatly appreciate your help. I’m in the process of de-boning. Meat doesn’t seem tainted or foul so I believe we are good in that department too.
Congrats and good job getting out there and recovering your deer!

· Registered
4,370 Posts
Pics!!

· Registered
99 Posts
Man, I read this whole post and was hurting for you bother! I’ve been there and it’s rough. Really messes with one mentally. So glad you found him and the meat was still Good. Awesome end to the story bud! Congratulations on a good harvest. I tip my hat and have a great amount of respect for you sticking it out mad not giving up!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts