Archery Talk Forum banner

Buck shot with crossbow. Clean pass through

6836 Views 60 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Skeeter 58
Shot an 8 pointer last night 35 yards broadside with my crossbow. He ran about 20 yards and slowed way down while all the other deer took off with their tails up. He had his tail tucked and flickering with his head down. Didn鈥檛 find any blood. So I backed out until I can go after work today. What do you think?
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

Registered
Mathews Chill X
Congrats on your recovery! Lots of haters out there, don鈥檛 worry about them. Hunt when ya can, go with your instincts, and don鈥檛 give up. Sounds like ya did okay to me!

Registered
Good for you!, glad this one worked out. Sitting in the tree reading this thread yesterday and I couldn't believe the amount of positive thinking and well wishing that was out there( SARCASM!).
To me, head hanging, and tail tucked means that deer is hurting, way to stick with it and not give up.

Registered
I'm gonna go with what my mind wants to think and that would be that he actually did find It and just doesn't feel like some of you guys are worth showing it to, just because **** like that cracks me up 馃ぃ however a picture would be cool !

Registered
Searched for 5 hours after work. Found him about 150 yards away from where I shot him. Just barely nicked his heart. Blood where he bedded down but besides that no blood trail. I knew he was messed up by the way he walked off. Grid search paid off. Happy I waited as long as I did. To all the haters, I鈥檒l have a cold one for you tonight. To everyone else being supportive and lending your insight I greatly appreciate your help. I鈥檓 in the process of de-boning. Meat doesn鈥檛 seem tainted or foul so I believe we are good in that department too.
Good job! Happy you found it... now as others have said... pics please!

Registered
Traditional only
Gut shot, but that doesn't mean you won't find it. All you can do is try, of course it feels bad when it's you, but what would you say to another hunter? We are rightly hard on ourselves, but you would never tell another hunter they should feel guilty about it, right?
It happens brother, make your peace with it.

All over my state we have guys that will go out with trained dogs to help recover deer, free. We get their phone numbers from the local warden. Should still be good even tomorrow if it's been as cold as here. Even if you don't get to it in time to eat it, it still helps you understand what happened and offers some closure.

Registered
Searched for 5 hours after work. Found him about 150 yards away from where I shot him. Just barely nicked his heart. Blood where he bedded down but besides that no blood trail. I knew he was messed up by the way he walked off. Grid search paid off. Happy I waited as long as I did. To all the haters, I鈥檒l have a cold one for you tonight. To everyone else being supportive and lending your insight I greatly appreciate your help. I鈥檓 in the process of de-boning. Meat doesn鈥檛 seem tainted or foul so I believe we are good in that department too.
That鈥檚 awesome, and congrats. Should gather some crow for all the haters to fill their bellies with.

Registered
Need pics! That reaction is a gut shot not heart. Flicker of the tail and slowly walking away you think there going down but dont. They just keep on going.

Registered
It's good to see one of these threads end in a recovery. In for pics.

Registered
Just found a buck last night after over a mile blood trail on a one lung hit. Took us 4 hours to find him and we almost lost the blood trail multiple times in super thick vegetation. Nature rewards those who don鈥檛 give up.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts