Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a copy and paste off of the Nebraska game and parks site. Do you agree of disagree and why?

From Zach: I am from Sutherland, Nebraska but i am currently living in kearney and hunting both the Kearney and Litchfield areas.

I guess one of my real concerns is also the buck to doe ratio. I spend a lot of time in the field and i keep trail cameras out most of the year and from what I/we (my hunting partners and I ) can see is that the ratio of bucks to does is about 8-10 does per buck. Have there been any studies conducted by the game in parks on this? If so do you know about what the average buck to doe ratio is for the state? What does the game and parks consider a good buck to doe ratio? Now if you sit down at any check station during rifle season you almost always see many more bucks checked in than does. I have noticed an increase in popularity with the antlerless only season choice tags in my area. But still don't see the ratio evening out. Do you believe that nebraska will increase the either sex permits and or possibly ever enstate an antlerless permit for the regular season as a way to even out the buck to doe ratio in the state?
Zach,

It is of my strong opinion that buck/doe ratios in Nebraska are not a problem and in fact are normal/good and are similar to most other states. In general it is nearly impossible to have buck doe ratios much different from 1:2 or 1:3 in a Nebraska deer population prior to the November firearm season.

The problem with Buck/Doe ratios is that they are often talked about, but the details are often left open to the imagination.

Examples:

1. Time of Year: Buck/doe ratios may look like 1:20 in February after most bucks have dropped antlers.

2. Fawns: Including fawns in buck doe ratios can result in severely incorrect numbers. Many does have twins. If we have 1 buck and 2 does and 4 fawns, the prehunt buck:doe ratio is 1:5 when in fact the actual buck doe ratio is 1:2

3. Post hunt and Pre hunt ratios will be much different, obviously due to the fact that approximately 1/2 of our bucks are harvested each year.

Theoretical Population Post Hunt (March) where 90% of bucks are harvested, but all does are bred: 100 does, 10 bucks, 200 nine month fawns.

Population 6 months later with no mortality: (September) ( the 9 month fawns are now adults)
200 does, 110 bucks, 300 three month fawns
Notice the buck:doe ratio is 1.1 : 2 if you don't count in the 300 fawns.
If you count the three month old fawns as "does" the ratio is 1.1 : 5

The only way to get 1:10 buck doe ratios pre hunt is to have very very low fawn survival and recruitment.
This has never occurred in Nebraska to my knowledge. I would only expect this to occur in a severely overpopulated herd where fawn survival and recuitment was very low due to starvation and disease. This would be a very rare situation anywhere in the country.

Kit Hams
Big Game Program Manager
NGPC

1 - 1 of 1 Posts