Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am new in this and I really want it to be my new hobby(archery).
So 3-4 years ago I bought a compound bow(chinese man kung), then I decided to talk with an archer in order to help me with adjusting the bow and give me tips.
When I met with the guy however, he told me that this is a womens' bow, really poor quality and the cables that were holding the 'shoulders' of the bow are dangerous, becuase they are made of some kind of metal. They can cut my hand if I dry fire and the bow blows in my hands. Those were his words. Obviously I know that bow must NOT be dry fired, but this made me really cautious about this bow and since then I got afraid from the bows and never even touched it again(did not even tried it).
So I want to ask you all the experienced people here: What are the dangers of firing a bow? Can I lose a limb or something like that or the guy was just making a bad joke?
Also I am thinking lately of buying something 'safer' for example a recurve bow. And I saw this bow: Buck Trail Cougar . Is this bow better than a 'chinese one'? Also is it safer? And because I am tall guy, but skinny(not very muscular) should I get 25 lbs for weight or less?
Thank you all and take care! :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I’ve never heard of anything you mentioned. However I’d go to your nearest pro shop to get some advice, and see what they have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Welcome to AT from Columbus, Ga.

I have no experience with a Buck Trail Cougar,, but it appears to be a recurve and not a compound bow. I have experience with two other recurves, the Samick Sage and Southwest Spyder. They are great bows (the Spyder to me is a tad batter in hand) and both can be bought from Amazon (both have good reviews). I took a moment to Goggle a Buck Trail Cougar - both cost less than a Buck Trail Cougar.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Man Kung still makes at least one bow with steel cables. The “shoulders” you refer to are known to most archers of a certain minimum age as “teardrops.” Steel cables and Dacron strings were industry standard until around 1990. Then they began to be replaced by synthetic cables that are the standard now.

I cannot comment on the safety of your particular bow.

If you would like to start shooting a recurve bow, you have very good bows available to you in the same price range as the Buck Trail Cougar. In your shoes, I would consider a moderately priced ILF takedown bow.

You need to speak with someone who is truly knowledgeable about the recurve bow market and who can help you make a selection based on the nature of your interest and your budget. I suggest calling Lancaster Archery Supply for a consultation. You can find their info online.

The reason I suggest Lancaster is that are one of very few dealers that stocks a wide selection of recurve bows for different purposes and budgets. They will be prepared to discuss and offer many options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all again, I asked in pro Shop about the samick sage, one of you adviced me that is a good bow in this topic. I have not asked lancaster, because I am from Eaat Europe and did not found such thing in my country. I talked with the guy from the Shop on the Phone. Told him that my draw length is 28 inches and asked him of the 62 inches tall bow is good for a beginner like me and said that the bow is good for me and my draw lenght. Is that correct and should I Just buy the samick sage now? I have 400 grains arrow, I know that for this bow(I think of 25 lbs like for a skinny guy) this will not be sufficient power, but I have these arrows in the moment. Thank you again for the replies and the help! 🙂 🙂 🙂

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
Hello all again, I asked in pro Shop about the samick sage, one of you adviced me that is a good bow in this topic. I have not asked lancaster, because I am from Eaat Europe and did not found such thing in my country. I talked with the guy from the Shop on the Phone. Told him that my draw length is 28 inches and asked him of the 62 inches tall bow is good for a beginner like me and said that the bow is good for me and my draw lenght. Is that correct and should I Just buy the samick sage now? I have 400 grains arrow, I know that for this bow(I think of 25 lbs like for a skinny guy) this will not be sufficient power, but I have these arrows in the moment. Thank you again for the replies and the help! �� �� ��
Samick Sage is an excellent bow.

Take a photo of your arrow, a photo of the label so we can see the brand and model of bow.
I suspect you have 400 SPINE arrow, meaning the stiffness rating of the arrow is 0.400 inches.
Need to know the length of the carbon fiber tube, meaning what is the mm measurement for the black tube only?

Do you know the point weight of your arrow?

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,926 Posts
"These traditional bows are made by the Korean bow manufacterer Win & Win." From their website. If W&W makes it's going to be safe.

Where are you located and what is your purpose for the bow? Target? Hunting? Both?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am located in eastern europe, Bulgaria to be specific. I am amateur and I think that a target shooting bow will be good, but entry level hunting bow is something I am interested in too, although I do not have the heart to kill an animal. I Will ad picture of the arrows. The arrowheads are the standard ones they came with, I have two pvc arrowheads each 100gr.

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
For shooting recurve bow, your 400 stiffness arrows are much too stiff. If you hold the string in your right hand, we call this a right hand recurve bow.
So, simple test for shooting recurve bow. We fire three arrows with vanes on the back end, and we fire one arrow with vanes removed from arrow, at the same bullseye on the target.
When the arrow has stiffness rating TOO STIFF, the arrow with no vanes, will miss severely left of the arrow group with vanes. Your arrow with 400 spine stiffness rating is much too strong for a recurve bow for a beginner like you.

I recommend some new arrows for you. Much more bendy arrow, less strong arrow, will shoot much better for you.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
Samick Sage bow. This is recurve bow, and will be 62-inches long.
You will need purchase a recurve bowstring and a simple plastic arrow rest. Hoyt Super Rest is inexpensive and works very nicely.

Recommend aluminum arrow. Easton Platinum Plus 1716. Why this size aluminum arrow? This is the weakest Easton Aluminum arrow where you can use
screw in field points. Screw in field points are very handy, because you can screw in different weight field points, for recurve bow tuning.
I suggest the 100 grain screw in field points. Full length at 29-inches long (tell pro shop no cutting).

When you receive bowstring, adjust the twists in the bowstring, to get the brace height to 8,25-inches...brace of 209 mm, about 21 cm. This brace height,
and the Easton 1716 aluminum arrow, full length, with 100 grain screw in field points should tune for you. What does this mean for a recurve bow?

This means when you shoot 3 fletched aluminum arrow, and fire at least one aluminum arrow (with no vanes), then the arrow with no vanes SHOULD hit inside the group
of the fletched arrow. If not, adjust the brace height. Remove bowstring from bow, and add or remove twists from the bowstring, to grow brace height longer or to shrink
brace height shorter.

Shorter brace height will build more power, so the bareshaft (arrow with no vanes) should hit more to your right, if you are right handed.
Longer brace height will decrease power, so the bareshaft (arrow with no vanes) should hit more to your left, if you are right handed.
When bareshaft hits inside fletched arrow group, your fletched arrow groups will become smaller (more accuracy).

You should purchase a leather finger tab, to protect your fingers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The samick sage bow I have chosen from the shop has included bowstring, nockpoint and rest for the arrow, also I have arrow rest from the old compound bow but I will use the one that comes with the recurve bow. Also I hava wrist guard, but I will try shooting with fingers only at first. And will buy the arrows you reccomended. Thank you! :)

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
The samick sage bow I have chosen from the shop has included bowstring, nockpoint and rest for the arrow, also I have arrow rest from the old compound bow but I will use the one that comes with the recurve bow. Also I hava wrist guard, but I will try shooting with fingers only at first. And will buy the arrows you reccomended. Thank you! :)
Arrow rest from compound bow is not appropriate for use with recurve bow. Arrow rest for recurve bow is not good for compound bow. Arrow rest for recurve bow VERY different
from arrow rest for compound bow, if you use compound bow with release. Shoot compound bow with FINGERS, that arrow rest will work for recurve bow, because you shoot recurve bow also with FINGERS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8nerb4aK8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also the shop here in Bulgaria does not has avalon aluminium arrows. They have carbon or wood arrows. Also they have some really cheap arrows from fiberglass, by the way the fiberglass ones are for 20 and 25 lbs bows. I will ask tomorrow if they have aluminium ones, but in the shop there are none.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
Also the shop here in Bulgaria does not has avalon aluminium arrows. They have carbon or wood arrows. Also they have some really cheap arrows from fiberglass, by the way the fiberglass ones are for 20 and 25 lbs bows. I will ask tomorrow if they have aluminium ones, but in the shop there are none.
Avoid fiberglass arrows. Terrible flight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the only option I have are either carbon again or wood arrows. Because I do not find aluminium arrows of avalon at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read that for samick sage 700 spine arrows avalon carbon are okay. By the spine sheet is this info. Is it right?

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
I read that for samick sage 700 spine arrows avalon carbon are okay. By the spine sheet is this info. Is it right?
Spine sheet does not ask you what is the length of the recurve bow. Spine sheet does not ask what brace height. Spine sheet is not very good to use.
ASSUMING 8,25 inch brace height, and assuming 28,0 inch draw length, and assuming carbon arrow raw tube length of 29,0 inches, and assuming 100 grain target point,
you need 1000 spine arrow.

This assumes 25 lb rated limbs and 25 pounds on the fingers for 62-inch Samick Sage recurve bow.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,344 Posts
ASSUMING 8,25 inch brace height, and assuming 28,0 inch draw length, and assuming carbon arrow raw tube length of 28,5 inches and assuming 110 grain target point, you need 850 spine arrow.

This assumes 30 lb rated limbs and 30 pounds on the fingers for 62-inch Samick Sage recurve bow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts