Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt North Missouri and I hardley ever see a good buck. Maybe one good on the whole bow season. Are they just not here, or do I need to spend more time in the stand?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
find you some rich soil river bottoms with thick cover and your super buck will be there. Also, check out areas with little hunting pressure and the deer herd is building (less than 30 deer per square mile).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot arkie

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I live near St. Louis...I don't know were you hunt, but I shoot does bigger than most bucks from other states!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Missouri has to get rid of the rifles in the month of November. You can't allow gun hunters to hunt during part of the rut and still manage your deer herd appropriately.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Koon you are right on! It frustrates me greatly that they purposely put the gun season right in the middle of the rut. They don't need the rut to get the deer moving, they are a million hunters to do that! I don't know if we will ever see a change in way they set these seasons up, there is a lot of gun hunters who cry loudly anytime it's mentioned.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah I dont think They should put gun season right in the middle of rut either. they need to change the season.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Miossouri is getting ready to implament a restriction on bucks. Kind of like bass in some lakes. Don't be suprised to see certain 'point' bucks illeagal to shoot in up-comming years!
Nothing like a trophy!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you are sayign they are going to restrict us from shooting trophy deer. if that is what you are saying that is crap.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
No, the way I understand it is ...we will be able to shoot big ones and little ones, but no middle! I WAS CONFUSED also, but it's the same deal that happend in PA.
We do have almost unlimited does this year!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yah, it was alittle confusing, you are right about the does though. i mean if i seen a middle age buck that was n ice I would probably shoot it. I pass the little ones all the time during bow season and so many does. I see a middle age deer every so often when I hunt. I guess this year I will just have to shoot a bunch of Does and hope to see the big one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
There is a bunch of good bucks in Missouri. Springfield, Columbia, Stockton, Northern Missouri, Camdenton, Wentzville, St. Charles, Marshall. I have seen 150+ class bucks in all of these city area's this summer. Hunt the areas away from traffic, most hunters here in the state won't put on a pair of waders and go across that waist deep creek or river. Go a little deeper and plan on staying all day. I have seen more trophey bucks during the noon hour than anyother time of day. Just be patient and one will happen your way. Do your homework drive roads and glass fields, talk to local farmers and make contact with the area game wardens, all great resources. Ft Lenord Wood has some bruisers too.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Ft Wood is awesome, that is where i am from and i have seen some awesome deer there. it is a pain to access now though. really strict on their policies since 9/11. the unlimited does is pretty cool for archery season. probably wont make a big difference in the numbers, but gives everyone a chance to kill deer w/out "burning" a tag. i would like to see the gun season moved out of the rut, as well as the antler restrictions, especially in gun season. i'd like to see an 8 pt or better restriction during gun season. they keep saying kill more does, kill more does, i think that would definitely force the issue. this weather we've been havin is makin me want to get up a tree somewhere!!:D easton94

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thought I would say yeah to the MO boys. Archer88 I dont know where you hunt north but my cousin hunt's north and killed a 130 to 140 class 8 pointer last year. I live in Camdenton and have gotten permission to hunt a farm this year that joins state property. There are several big bucks there. Helps that the farm hasn't been hunted in 20 years or so to. But I've been watchin a good 140 class 9 pointer for the last year or so. Those big ones are there just hunt hard and stay in the stand all day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are the doe permits for archery $5 again this year? I believe you can still buy them as you "use" them, isn't that right.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
monofletch, it is crowded down there in national forest land outside of post but there is a reason for that as well as ways around it. 3 years ago a guy killed a buck that netted 194" pretty much in the exact spot that i had sat the year before, close to fort wood. so you never know. i beleive thats right gutpiler, they are unlimited this year as well. OH YEAH. its gonna be a fun early season! easton94

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I know There are good bucks here in North Missouri. I hunt North of Trenton, Missouri, two counties away from the state line and I have herd of people shooting big ones, but I never see them very often.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
The doe tags are UNLIMITED only in certain counties(areas) I would check first!
I use to hunt up on the Iowa border...saw some very nice bucks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yah, I will call the local game warden and find out. I am pretty sure we have unlimited doe tags in our county. I have seen a few nice bucks around here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts